Stereo Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

Stereo Problems

Installed a stereo in my boss's 84 Buick Playtoy. Got the head unit installed and have the speakers laying in the back seat, sounded pretty good(only had the key turned back, never started it)! We moved the car out of the garage today and when we started the car, had massive amounts of interference. What can be done to remedy this problem? Do I install a "choke" or something of that nature to cut this out.

Thanks

69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/4.11s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6,All Power)
Check out my site at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Stereo Problems

What did you hook the main power wire to on the fusebox? If you hooked it to some kind of running electrical accessory, like the A/C or heater fan, you can get this kind of interference, especially since it probably wasn't active when you tested the radio last night, and was running once you started the car. They also make power wire "filters" to eliminate such noises, but I would check that first.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

I hooked it up to the factory power wire for the stereo, I think. All the wires are just a mess of spaghetti under the dash. The heater controls are all gone, the stereo connectors are cut off. The computer is removed, more wires. But I am pretty sure that I am into the factory stereo wires, the fuse was removed before I started(had no power), added the fuse and it had power so I am assuming that it is the stereo wire.

Thanks

Check out my site at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech

Two questions. 1)Were you playing the radio. 2)Was the hood open.
There's a metal tang usually at the firewall that grounds the hood when it's closed. The antenna will pick up all of the ignition noise when the hood is up and ungrounded. I ran into this on an '84 Camaro. After installing a stereo I had the hood open to reconnect the battery cable. I started the car with the radio playing and the noise had the owner giving me dirty looks. Closed the hood and like magic the noise went away.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

What brand of radio is it. Some do require noise supporessors in the power line while others already have them built into the unit or are designed not to need them.
With you saying the wiring is a bunch of spaghetti under the dash you may want to try going to a different point with the ground wire off of the radio, try unplugging the antenna to see if the noise is better or worse, or if all else fails wire the radio into a known good car or try wiring what is in the car now right up to the battery temporarily to try and track down the problem.
I know too on the older GM's there were two gray wires (one was for speakers another for dash lights) and also two yellow wires (a rear speaker wire and an ignition 12V wire). Did you do a complete test on all of the wires to verify what did what or did you just start trying combinations.
You might also have a shorted to ground speaker wire.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

It is a Pioneer Cd Player. The hood was closed. I will try unplugging the antenae & probably go ahead and change the ground.

Thanks & I'll let you know

Check out my site at

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

And I did use a tester to check all the wires, had to tape a couple off.

Thanks

Check out my site at

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode