Horn relay buzzing - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Horn relay buzzing

What would likely cause the relay to all of a sudden start buzzing?
I had a mechanic do some work lately in the steering column for a key switch adjustment; that may be the cause.
After driving the car for a few miles, the buzz was noticed.
After turning off the key, the buzz is still going off.
I had to pull of the black wire coming from the firewall to the relay to make it stop.

Horn still works fine.

What would be a good guesstimate as to what caused it?

69 camaro, 350cu,

1969 Camaro Z-11 Pace Car
350cu/300HP -
Convertible RS/SS- Muncie M20 - posi 3.31, 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Horn relay buzzing

The buzzing "should be" the key buzzer. Did you try pulling the pink wire with the black stripe from the horn relay?

or... perhaps the 2 connections got swapped?
The pink wire should be closest to the rad support, the black furthest away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 09:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Just went thru the same thing. My column was rebuilt and the first time I put the key in there must have been a piece of paper or something that jammed the little lever that pushes on the contacts to complete the circuit that buzzes the horn relay. If you want it to work take the lock cylinder out and check it the little lever retracts with the key out or stays in place. Maybe a new cylinder is needed. Read thru this.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...rDiagnosis.doc

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
john

heres a pic for a lil help..its from a 68 tho.....thats not my hand!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You're right on the color. The wire is the pink wire In the same location. (some black spray paint evidently got to it).
It sounds like it must be the warning buzzer.
It has never worked before today but I had just had a GM tech adjust the key lock mechanism inside the housing. It did not make any noise until I had driven it home and parked it.
Still buzzes with the key in or out, door open or closed.

Could a wire have been grounded internally and showed up after turning the wheel?

Thanks,

350cu/300HP -

Last edited by llpainter; Apr 8th, 06 at 06:59 AM. Reason: missed word
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I doubt your problem is in or near the horn relay.

Check the drivers side door pin switch, just because it's easy to get to. It should have 2 1/4" male spade connections with an insulator between them. If the insulator is gone or damaged, that will cause key buzzer problems. The key buzzer wire is ther one that is not white.

Only other item in the key buzzer circuit is the previously mentioned switch by the lock cylinder, which is probably the problem.

Mine also buzzes, only if the door is open, wether the key is in or not. As I sometimes like to play the radio when parked, I just pulled the pink wire off the horn relay.

edit: oh, btw, that's MY hand!!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I agree...bad lock cylinder. Have them take the ignition lock core out and check to see if all aligns properly. If he bent the key buzzer lever it will hang up and stay activated. Once the core is removed, the ignition switch can be rotated while moving the buzzer lever checking for alignment and the spring is still working.
Kev
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 06, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the info.

I think I will go back into the housing and disconnect the warning switch.
For the interim period, I will just disconnect the wiring to the relay...

350cu/300HP -
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 06, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech

I think that your critical statement is the following "I had a mechanic do some work lately in the steering column for a key switch adjustment".

There isn't any adjustment possible on the lock cylinder (where you stick your key in). The lock cylinder can only be installed one way. The lock cylinder does have a plastic pin that sticks out when the key is inserted and the lock cylinder is in any position but RUN or START. That pin pushes on the key buzzer switch contacts (inside the column head) and completes the buzzer circuit. If that pin gets full of crud, it might not retract properly. You might try some silicone spray in the key slot to see if it might loosen up.

The ignition switch is down under the dash on top of the steering column jacket. That switch has a small amount of possible adjustment. BUT, the ignition switch has nothing to do with the key buzzer.

If I was to guess, I think your mechanic messed something up.

Disassembly of the steering column to get at the key buzzer switch and the lock cylinder is not too bad a job. I have complete instructions on key buzzer switch diagnosis and steering column repair at www.corvettefaq.com located in the Jim Shea's Steering Section (click on his EXCELLENT articles) and then under A and F-car Steering Papers.

Jim

Last edited by JIML82; Apr 15th, 06 at 05:28 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks again for the info. The adjustment was not on the cylinder itself.
My lock cylinder was not staying in the lock position when I turned off the key switch; it kept rotating slightly back toward the on position.
This made you have to hold the cylinder in lock with one hand and to remove the key with the other hand to lock the cylinder..
First he tried to adjust the switch at the bottom but it was ok.
He then had to change some gear mechanism inside the column, below the cylinder, that had evidently slipped one notch...
During the re-assembly, I guess he got the buzzer grounded internally.

350cu/300HP -
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech

The plastic sector does not just skip a tooth as it is indexed to the die cast rack inside the steering column. I am quite sure that someone in the past, misinstalled the two parts. If you remove the lock cylinder from the steering column, you should be able to see the engagement of the sector to the rack. The one large tooth on the sector must engage the one large tooth on the rack.

Jim
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech

This is a picture looking into the lock cylinder hole in the steering column head. The plastic sector is not indexed correctly to the die cast rack. You can see the plastic sector and a portion of the rack. A small tooth on the sector is in the large tooth cutout on the rack. The large tooth on the sector is past the teeth on the rack.

Hope this helps to understand the problem.

Just a note! This is a picture of a standard (non-adjustable) steering column. If you have a tilt column or a T&T column, you will not be able to look into the lock cylinder hole and see the sector. The mechanism works in the same way (i.e. plastic sector and die cast rack) but the parts are unique to the adjustable columns.

Jim

Last edited by JIML82; Apr 20th, 06 at 03:56 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks again Jim.

Boy I wished I had this picture and information earlier; if you don't ask, you don't get it.

That helps tremendously.

I will probably go into the column this weekend to check out the wiring of the key buzz connection.

350cu/300HP -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode