Dash wires behind gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Question Dash wires behind gauges

Putting the dash together of my 68 SC and I find 2 wires unconnected behind where the dash gauges go.

One wire is green and looks like a ground. It's short and has one end attached to the under side of the dash near where the steering column passes by. It has an eyelet on the right end which is unconnected. Does it attach to the back of the guage cluster? If so... where?

The other wire is a yellow wire with a flat black connector. It comes from the right, behind the heater control panel somewhere... Where does it connect to?

68 Camaro Roller | 68 Camaro (#matching) | 69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 11:51 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Dash wires behind gauges

The green wire is for the highbeam indicator light and the yellow is the power lead for the radio.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 06, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks! I will check it out this evening.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 06, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Dave, shouldn't the high beam indicator light come straight out of the harness (not the steering column) and have a bulb socket on the end of the wire?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 01:55 AM
Senior Tech

Yes Jim, the High beam indicator light (Light green) wire does come from the main dash harness. It's hard to tell from the picture, where the wire is coming from. It sounds like the socket must of been cut off.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Hey, I'm glad you guys expanded on this! I went out and looked again and the green wire with the bulb on it is there and actually shows up in the pic, but you cant see the bulb in the pic above; it's tucked away just below the yellow wire's connector in the picture above.
Upon closer inspection and a different light, the wire that I thought was green is actually black with overspray on it. It is a black wire that has one eyelet attached to the under dash, the wire is about 10" long and the other eyelet connects to where? I'm assuming somewhere on the rear of the gauge cluster... but where?
Here's a new pic that should clear things up!!!!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

That black wire looks like the earth wire that connects to the mounting bolts of the ignition switch mounted on the steering column

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I'm confused- this is a 68 and the ignition switch is dash mounted in the stock position. The wire isn't long enough to reach over to the ignition switch.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech

KwiK69, Did the car come with an aftermarket Tach? That is a ground wire for an extra accessory. The Gauge Cluster grounds through the dash harness. You can use that ground wire for the radio or for any aftermarket gauges you may want to put in your car.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Black wire grounds to back of gauge cluster - should be a 1/4 screw just above right gauge (looking from frontside)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 07:42 AM

The Black Wire Is For The Grounding Of The Instrument Cluster.there Is An Excellent Diagram On Page 161 Of The 68 Camaro Assembly Manual.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks guys! The instrument cluster ground confirms my theory. The black wire has a little kink in it right at the point where it would go through the instrument housing hole in the dash, so I assumed it had either been pulled or it had supported the dangling weight of the instrument cluster at some time. Thanks to all who responded!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

The 67's must be different from the 68's. I can't seem to recall a ground wire going to the Dash Cluster on mine. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 68 Dash Cluster?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode