Ignition switch bezel - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Angry Ignition switch bezel

The original ignition switch mounting bezel was missing on my 68 when I bought it, so I puchased a new bezel (repo) along with the tightening tool.
I can't seem to get the bezel's screw threads to line up correctly with the ignition case in order to tighten it down. There is a small tab or partial thread on the top and bottom of the cylinder part that seems to not let the bezel clear it in order to get to the case threads.
Anyone have this problem with the new bezels? Any solutions?
I thought of trimming the key cylinder's top and bottom thread- but I'm not sure why it's there in the first place. Anything wrong with giving it a little shave so the bezel clears it?

The ignition case threads in the pic look bad, but it's just the camera- the threads are clean and in great condition.

68 Camaro Roller | 68 Camaro (#matching) | 69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Ignition switch bezel

Just file the rough parts. It looks like the old bezle was striped and left some of the threads behind.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 03:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

KWICK..
First you need to take out the igntion core using the key in rotate to acc position a paper clip in the hole. Screw the bezel on then insert the ignition core again.

Kev

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 06:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte
KWICK..
First you need to take out the igntion core using the key in rotate to acc position a paper clip in the hole. Screw the bezel on then insert the ignition core again.

Kev
Exactly.
Turn the key to accessory, push a paper clip in the lil hole and turn the key further to the left and pull the cylinder out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 06, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave
Just file the rough parts. It looks like the old bezle was striped and left some of the threads behind.
It looks stripped and messed up, but thats just the picture- the threads are actually clean and like new condition.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 06, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks Sixty Ate and JimM for revealing those tricks of the trade! I love it when I learn something new!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode