grounds - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

grounds

If I want to go around my car and check to make sure i have all the necessary grounds for everything, which places are key spots to look for the main grounds?

Thanks, James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 05:41 PM
Retired
Jim

Re: grounds

what car, what year?

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

sorry, forgot the key information. 1968 Camaro convertible with a 350 v8 automatic

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

What year is your Camaro. The main ones I know about for the engine bay of a first gen are

battery to the body from the negative cable
Firewall to engine (usually the passenger's valve cover)
Firewall to subframe (lower passenger's side cowl)
Negative battery cable to the block.

There have to be 50 others in the car that include the blower motor, dash lights, headlights, parking lights etc... Basically, every electic device in your car needs a ground to complete the circuit.

Are you having a particular problem w/something in your car? A factory assembly manual is an awesome place to see diagrams of where all these grounds should be.

Let us know if you have any specific questions

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Where would the one's for the dash lights, and turn signals be located?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 05:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

It is a wire that goes from the back of the guage cluster to the top middle screw holding the cluster to the dash. The wire is like a paperclip that is bent to line up with the screw.

A lot of people have issues w/this ground and have run another ground from the cluster to a better ground.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Sorry to steal this thread,but I have a question about a ground too. I have all you mentioned. I just installed a complete MSD system 6AL, coil, dist and have a buzzing in my radio. I was told to put a ground from the ENGINE TO FRAME. I don't see one of those, only all you listed. Do I need one?
I guess I will try MSD's noise filter after all my grounds are correct. Thanks

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 06, 05:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Cars that came with AM radios had a "Noise suppresion kit". In 68 This was 3 copper braided ground straps, one from each valve cover to the firewall, and one from the subframe to the firewall on the pass side. These are detailed in the AIM, and available repro.

Also, many of the important grounds are up front, on the rad support, including ground wires for the parkling lights, headlights, and the most important, the voltage regulator.

I use star washers between the terminal and the sheetmetal on all my ground connections. They cut through that new paint and make a good connection.
Also, I ended up running he ground pigtail from the neg bat cable to the rad support rather than the inner fender as shown in the aim. With all the new paint, I just wasn't getting a good ground circuit from the inner fender to the outer and then to the rad support thru all the normal attaching bolts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode