Mounting / Grounding Voltage Regulator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donald

Mounting / Grounding Voltage Regulator

Hey guys. I have another voltage regulator question. A few posts ago I asked about a "correct regulator" to replace my chrome aftermarket one. My question now is should the regulator be mounted to the front cowl using wellnuts and then a separate ground wire? My current regulator is screwed fast to the cowl with sheet metal screws, the wellnuts provided with the new regulator would never fit the holes without drilling them out. The base is then grounded through the screws.

I checked my neighbor's '66 Duece, he has an original stock Delco Remy. His is attached with the wellnuts and then a ground wire from the base of the regulator to the bolt that connects the horn relay to the front cowl.

What has me confused, my SS is a numbers matching car with a lot of original parts, obviously, the regulator is not. If it is suppose to be attached with wellnuts, maybe the radiator support got replaced at some time, there is no way to tell if that piece of sheet metal is original or not. It has the original "ZE" Harrison but it also was not mounted correctly on the LH side. My horn relay is original as are the horn brackets and wiring harness.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Donald
'69 SS396, X22, 50/50, 729
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Mounting / Grounding Voltage Regulator

Donald, To my knowledge the regulator body is always grounded to the radiator support by a black ground wire. If the regulator is not grounded, it will not work. If the body of the regulator is grounded by the mounting screws, then it might be okay. Start the car and see if the battery is getting 13- 14 volts charge. If not, then try grounding the body of the regulator with the ground wire to the support and see if that works.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I donít own a 69 but according to this old thread it appears 67-68ís used a rubber well nuts and a ground strap to mount the voltage regulator and 69ís mounted directly to the radiator support.
Voltage regulator mounting - Team Camaro Tech

Possibly another 69 owner can confirm this.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 06, 01:29 AM
Senior Tech

If that is correct, then the regulator will work. The body just needs to be grounded to the radiator support somehow. If you use the well nuts, then you must have a ground wire.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode