How to remove Alternator fan ? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

How to remove Alternator fan ?

Hi everybody,

Can someone tell me the best way to remove an alternator fan ?
How do you hold the shaft still while backing off the 15/16" nut ?

My alternator is fine, but the previous owner put on a chrome fan and I'm taking back to stock.

I searched around but couldn't find a thread.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
Re: How to remove Alternator fan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr
Hi everybody,
How do you hold the shaft still while backing off the 15/16" nut ?
Should be a allen hex in the center of the shaft so you need a allen wrench. should be 5/16 if its a older alternator.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech
Jack

If there is no place in the shaft to hold it with an allen wrench, use an impact wrench.

68 camaro SS 350 convertible, 69 camaro coupe

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 05:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

What I've done very successfuly is clamp the allen wrench in a vise, put a box end wrench on the nut, then set the alternator upside down on the allen, holds it real good.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
mike

The best way is to use an air powered impact gun zip-on/off quickly no need hold anything else. If you don't have one take it somewhere that does.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY
The best way is to use an air powered impact gun zip-on/off quickly no need hold anything else. If you don't have one take it somewhere that does.
That's what I thought.
No Allen on my unit.
I'll take it somewhere.

Thanks Everyone
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The end of the shaft should have an allen socket in it, never seen one that didn't

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: How to remove Alternator fan ?

Another 'Old'sKool' way of removing a pulley/fan from the shaft - is to clamp an old fan belt in a vise that's wrapped around the pulley so it's held tight and then loosen the nut ( on the impact if you have one...) - this works well on most of the older alt/gen/power steering units that don't have the socket (or allen) provision in the shaft end for holding it.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 06, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
The end of the shaft should have an allen socket in it, never seen one that didn't
Hmm....

Coulda swore the end of the shaft was smooth.
I'll take another look tonight.

Thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
You were right.
Odd..the allen socket was plugged with dirt.
I couldn't see it.
But the rest of the Alt looks great.
Odd.

Thanks Again

Markr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
What I've done very successfuly is clamp the allen wrench in a vise, put a box end wrench on the nut, then set the alternator upside down on the allen, holds it real good.
I too have done it this way and on the alternators with the dual groove and the nut not accesible using a box wrench I've set the amount of how far up the allen wrench sticks out of the vise to where a 1/2 drive socket can be place over the allen wrench sticking up from the jaws of the vise and then set the alternator down on it to engage both the allen wrench and the socket. Since the allen is through the center of the socket I use a pipe wrench to thentwist and grab the outside of the socket to loosen or tighten the nut.

If you are putting on an original alternator fan it should be all right however I had a customer last year with a chrome one that after the motor was revved to a high RPM the blades bent forward and started chewing up the backside of the belt. At first I thought there was a nick in one of the pulleys creating the damage to the belt. After looking for the problem you could visually see how much thinner the overseas fan was compared to a factory original one.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode