Cruise control - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Cruise control

I'm thinking about adding an aftermarket cruise to the vert. With the mileage I'm getting, I'm gonna drive it more, it costs lots less than my truck to run.

I'm looking for something that will work off the electric speedo output on the tko, and with a simple on/off switch to activate it and a brake switch (or tie in to the existing) to shut it off, and minimal stuff under the hood.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 06:54 AM

Re: Cruise control

Audiovox makes a one you could look at or try Dakota digital.

69 plain jane fathom green/white vinyl top white interior 91 l-98 tpi 5.7l 700r4
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Absolutely the Finest Cruise control is the SCS/Frigette cruise.
available here www.bought4less.com

Its simple, accurate, reliable and easy to install.
Tech help is a phone call or email away.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ok, well so far, I found this one: audiovox cruise - vac actuator

this one: dakota digital electronic cruise

and this one: http://www.bought4less.com/

The bought for less one seems the best, and comes with a switch built into the turn signal lever that will bolt right on, tho i don't know about sbaking thew wires thru the column, maybe a dash switch would be better.

any other ideas or comments?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

feeding the wires down the column isn't that tough.
Some mechanics wire (similar to electric fence wire) feed that through, loop the cruise wires on with tape. pull it through.
dash switch is even easier though.

You'll also want the Speedometer speed signal.
NO MAGNETS!

Don't be suprized that this Cruise will hold speed steady within 1 mph.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'

Last edited by hhott71; May 1st, 06 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 07:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Jim,,, Think I know what you want,,, I have been installing the setup from JC Whitney and leaving their slide switch control off but using the combo lever # HND 3 from Dakota Dig. It bolts up looking very stock.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...cruise+control

It works well and looks retro. I pull the 4 pin module connector off to feed wires thru jacket and then replug.. Put about a dozen in so far... Works off the magnet pickup on drive shaft. Very universal. The controls are on the turn signal lever on the Dakota HND 3...Talk to Scott if you need to..

I did not use the pickup off the TKO. I may add that if you are installing one of these with a car that has LED tail lamps,,, there are some mods that are not mentioned that you have to make....

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Last edited by zdld17; May 1st, 06 at 07:42 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

jim i just talked to my boss and i remeber we have been puttin one kind of cruise on all our cars ...they are very sweet and really cheap...not cheap made but cheap in price...he has had the same one one his 68 for 4 years also on his 35 ford and other cars.....he also put the same one on his new work truck and wifes car...under the hood you can not even see it has cruise.....works great all there is inside the car is a tiny box about half the size as a deck of cards i think 3" wide 1.5" tall and 1/2" thick real small and can be unoticable....i think it sells for 125 if you would like i can look into brand and where to get it let me know we wire them all day long in less than 3 or 4 hours really simple

My car pics...

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Don, what is the brand name on that JC Whitney one?

Importkiller, get me some info for sure, $125 sounds too good to be true for an electronic servo typre, and I don't want no vacaum servo.

I like the dakota turn lever/switch a lot, bolt in and very factory looking, good to know you can mix and match a bit.

Does anyone know if/how you can use both the electronic and the cabled speedo on the TKO at the same time? and where the connector is, cause I can't for the life of me find another elkectrical connector on that thing.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 08:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Jim,, I dont have the name with me , but have this at home... Thought it was something like Astra-Micro? It has the vacumn servo with cable attached to inside and the brain is built into the servo... it comes with a universal vehicle speed sensing wire ( to hook up to electronic trans) or tie one magnet to drive shaft and the mag pick up fastens on to what ever is near by... The Dakota HND 3 lever is the best I have seen yet... If you do a search on speed controls at JC Whitney,, it will bring up the electronic controller model also... it a sealed box. I have never installed one of these...I had these on my trifives and have installed them on many other chevelles and camaros.. Very good luck.. I had one Dakota lever burn up on me ,,, thats all.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

The $149 Vacuum servo SCS cruise is dead nuts reliable and accurate. Smoothest cruise on the market.
It is electronically controlled. The cable is 60" long and leave s you with lots of places to mount it.
It can accept VSS from an ECM'd car, or and Electric speedo, a Tach signal on a manual trans, or the add-on speedometer speed signal.
You could rob a magnet set-up from a lesser quality brand, It'll read it too.

The $209 all electric cruise is also dead-nuts accurate and smooth. It can read all the signals the vacuum cruise can except the Tach signal. Its electronics were updated to read the newer extreme high-rate VSS of newer vehicles.

jc whitney offers this same brand at a $50-$60 higher price, which they drop ship from the MFG.
bought4less.com keeps them in stock and ships daily

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Hot71, sounds like the one that I am talking about...the one with the vacumn servo... The unit from JCW is about what you state and another $45 for the lever from Dakota..

Only thing I see differant from what I am using and the
http://www.bought4less.com/
is that I don't have the vacumn resevoir and none of the switches look like the one I got from Dakota. One from Dakota is a lot slimmer. And looks like they have a new part # on it,,HND 4 now and few dollars more.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...prod/prd51.htm

Jim , the choice is yours.

Don
TC # 349

Last edited by zdld17; May 2nd, 06 at 11:20 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

my choice indeed... looks like my choice today was a $467 summit order, alluminum rad, swivel billet thermostat housing, 16 psi billet rad cap, and SS braid hoses...lol, don't we just love pitching money into these car?

Looks like the cruise is pushed back a couple weeks, but keep the info coming anyway.

The Dakota lever is a given at this point.
It's looking like the TKO won't provide both a manual speedo cable and an electric speed output, so I'll need something with a magnet sensor.
and finally, the electric servo will help keep the back of my motor clean.

Do any of these combos do all four?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 02:48 PM
Retired
Jim

My cruise is my big size 14 tennis shoe wedged between the tunnel and the gas pedal.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 06, 05:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Jim,, I had the manual system with the magnet tied on the drive shaft,, about 2 " from the front yoke using the TKO... Like I said , the servo is mounted near my headlamp vacumn reservior. Its got a 6ft cable and is very flexable. Choice is yours

What about the cruise being moved back? Are your saying the dates have changed? If so,, I need to know so I can change my reservations in Billings.

Don
TC # 349

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 06, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

NoNoNoNo.... no change for Billing, My PURCHASE of a cruise control is moved back, spent this months funding on a radiator!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode