Installing an AutoMeter Tach - Ignition Switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 06, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Send a message via AIM to robe9000
Installing an AutoMeter Tach - Ignition Switch?

1969 Camaro.

I'm installing an Autometer tach. 4 wires: one to a 12v lighting circuit, one to ground, one to the ignition switch and one to the distributor.

How do I wire the connection to the ignition switch? Do I need to drop the steering column or remove the ignition switch to do so? Also, can I use a standard barrel fuse on this wire? Is there an easier way?

Second question. Do I need a special connector to hook up the "-" on a Delco-Remy HEI Distributor?

Thanks - this site rocks!

Rob - SS350 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 06, 12:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Re: Installing an AutoMeter Tach - Ignition Switch?

hello
welcome to team camaro
first hook up the lighting wire (i believe it is the white one on your tach) to the dimmer switch
second the 12volt wire can be spliced in to the connector that is located on the top side of the steering column sorry cant remember which color wire
third to connect to the distributor all you would need is a female spade connector that is wide enough to fit on the metal prong. also i believe that you would connect it on the right side of the coil i could be wrong

i will recheck everything in the morning when i get home from work and revise my post

steve

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 06, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by robe9000
1969 Camaro
How do I wire the connection to the ignition switch?
The easiest place is right at the fusebox. There are 4 terminals at the fusebox for added stuff. (see pics below) They are marked BAT, ACC, IGN and LPS. The BAT terminal is always hot, the ACC terminal is only hot when the key is in the accessory or on position, IGN terminal is only hot when the key is in the on position, LPS terminal is only hot when the parking or headlamps are on. Use the IGN terminal for power and the LPS terminal for gauge lighting.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by undee72Z; Apr 30th, 06 at 07:26 AM. Reason: edited 2nd pic

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 06, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by robe9000
Second question. Do I need a special connector to hook up the "-" on a Delco-Remy HEI Distributor?
Do you need one, no. A standard female terminal you can get at any auto parts store will work. Only problem is they don't have the hook to keep them from being pulled out. If you want the factory style terminal that has the hook you can get them here, about half way down the page.
http://www.americanautowire.com/prod...und_Straps.cfm
The factory style terminals also have the benefit of being idiot proof, you can't but the wire in the wrong terminal as in you can't put the tach wire on the BAT terminal and the BAT wire on the tach terminal. Hope this helps.

Greg U

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 06, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Send a message via AIM to robe9000
Talking Re: Installing an AutoMeter Tach - Ignition Switch?

Wow! thanks guys for all the great info - can't wait to get back from church this morning and put in a new Tach!

Thanks for the speedy replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode