12V power source; too many connections? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

12V power source; too many connections?

I am finalizing the installation of my electric fan and need a 12v power source. At the fuse box, I am already using the ACC, IGN for other items. In fact, they are being used for a trans brake, line lock and electric fuel pump. How many items can I connect to these sources or is there another option? I do not want to use the BAT source.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: 12V power source; too many connections?

When your number of connections start to add up, one way to go is to add a 2nd fuse box, a small 4 circuit kind. If you want it switched, just tap off of the power side of an existing fuse, not the load side. What I mean is that if you take a fuse out, you will still have power on 1 side of the fuse slot ( with key on if switched ). The load side the fuse is the side of fuse slot that goes to the device being powered. This setup does not increase load on the fuse since this added connection does not go through the fuse. And, you are still able to use fuses for the new connections you are adding.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 08:46 AM
Retired
Jim

review the tech sections here www.madelectrical.com they have relays to handle the heavy loads you are running.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 06, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

viperx65, the fuse box was never meant to handle a lot of heavy loads for add ons. The fan, T brake and electric fuel pump should all be wired with their own relays.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by undee72Z
viperx65, the fuse box was never meant to handle a lot of heavy loads for add ons. The fan, T brake and electric fuel pump should all be wired with their own relays.
Exactly. You're asking for trouble running that stuff through the ignition switch, bulkhead, and factory fusebox.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 03:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You want to run the fan off a relay, with (fused) power supplied directly off the horn relay.

Note that if you don't want the fan to run with the ignition off, power the (low amp) relay coil from an ignition switched source

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

My intentions were never to get 12v power (load) from the fuse box. That load I am getting from the battery. I may have asked my original question incorrectly. Or maybe I am still not understanding.

Let me ask my question another way:

Two examples of switched 12v source requirements:

1) Please go to this link:
http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automat...ts/FAN-PWM.pdf
I have the "Single Fan - SPAL Sensor - without AC" (page 4). Where would you connect the small gauge orange wire? Is says to connect to the ignition. The only place to do this is at the fuse panel correct? I am already connected to the battery with the large gauge red wire. I only want the fan to be able to run when the car is on.

In case the link does not work go to:
http://www.spal-usa.com
Select fans
Select accessories
Go to the fan controller (scroll down) and click on the tech sheet.

2) Example relay (50102) for my electric fuel pump
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcat.../1098relay.jpg
Terminal 86, where would you connect for a switched 12v source? The only
place to do this is at the fuse panel correct?

Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 06, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you can cheat... The yellow wire at the wiper motor.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 06, 01:17 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx65
My intentions were never to get 12v power (load) from the fuse box. That load I am getting from the battery. I may have asked my original question incorrectly. Or maybe I am still not understanding.

Terminal 86, where would you connect for a switched 12v source? The only
place to do this is at the fuse panel correct?

Thanks.
Not the only place, you could.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
As for how many relays you could connect to the fuse box for a switched 12v source, a whole bunch. Each relay coil only pulls about 1/8 of 1 amp. You don't need to run a new wire to the fuse box for each relay. You can run 1 or 2 wires and branch off to other relays, depending on where you have them mounted. You don't need heavy wiring as the draw would be very low. Even if you had 8 relays, the draw would be only 1 or 2 amps. Hopes this answers you question.

Greg U

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Jim,
I am in this same situation and currently have my MSD unit run off the yellow wire on the wiper motor. If I also add my Spall fans to this same yellow wire would that be too much, or should I go into the fuse box since the MSD is already connected to this wire? The Spall fans (dual) have the fuse and relays per the diagram in the link above.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 06:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

As long as you are not attaching any high current loads, you can put a bunch of stuff on that wire.
The switch side of a relay is no problem.
The "on" lead on an msd box is no problem either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode