Help! Gauge and heater lights don't work! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 06, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
David

Help! Gauge and heater lights don't work!

Just hooked up the guages and idiot lights on my 69 coupe and everything works great... Well almost. The speedo, fuel, and heater lights do not work. I do not know what this could be. They worked before but would slightly dim and brighten every once in a while. When i removed my dash I had to cut the 2 wires that go from the gear selector to the fuel bulb so I could remove the cluster (didn't know the selector could be removed). I reconnected and checked those. So guys whats your thoughts. I need to get this car on the road for a show so any help would be VERY appreciated.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 06, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
Re: Help! Gauge and heater lights don't work!

Did you check the fuse, INST LAMPS fuse. The very short one.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 06, 12:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

along with the fuse, check your ground wires and check your headlight switch to make sure its not turned all the way down so the instrument lights don't illuminate

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 06, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
David

Where all should I have ground wires? I have found the one for the headlight switch, and the one that comes out of the wire loom and hooks to the support in the middle of the metal dash. Also, the fuse looks fine..

As far as the light switch being upside down, how would I have done that? Do you mean when I installed the actual knob?

Finally, I've read about a ground that is supposed to go from the brights indicator on the dash to the screw in the top middle of the dash cluster. Am I reading that wrong or did I just not have one before?

Ah and I don't know how this could be related but i'll add it anyhow. At the moment my radio and wiper/washer switch is not hooked up.
Thanks alot folks
David
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat44
Also, the fuse looks fine..
Never assume by looking, always test. Then you have a direction on where the problem is. First turn on the parking lamps and check both sides of the INST LPS fuse with a test lamp or meter. If one side has power and one doesn't, fuse is blown. If both sides have power, the problem is downstream of the fuse, like a ground or a connection. If neither side has power the problem is upstream. The INST LPS fuse gets its power from the tail lamp circuit, if you don't have tail lamps, you won't have dash lamps. Do the same test with the tail lamp fuse. Tail lamp fuse gets its power from the headlight switch. Hope this helps.

Greg U

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
David

Alright well I fiddled around and have somehow gotten the speedometer and heater lights working but still nothing on the fuel gauge. The light is brand new and I think maybe I have a bad socket. This also works into the gear selector light not working. Any ideas?

By the way the other two lights came on after I reattached a loose wire from the light switch. It was green. Everything else was fine and the dimmers work.

Thanks to you guys for helping me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode