Underdash lights. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question Underdash lights.

I am thinking about installing the underdash courtesy lights in my 69 Z and was wondering if anyone has added this option to their standard interior. With the dome light and the console light there really isn't enough light for me and for any guest I might be caring for, especially at night time. Any thoughts on this subject?

Also, was a glovebox light a standard or option? I don't have one but was wondering about installing one of those as well.

Your help would be appreciated.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 711 69 B Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 06:46 AM

Re: Underdash lights.

I have a 67 convertible and there are special light mounts that go under the dash because there is no dome light. You could install those and just feed off the exisitng courtesy light circuit. Classic sells them.

http://home.comcast.net/~bryson9663/home.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson9663
I have a 67 convertible and there are special light mounts that go under the dash because there is no dome light. You could install those and just feed off the exisitng courtesy light circuit. Classic sells them.

http://home.comcast.net/~bryson9663/home.html

Yeah. I was planning on picking up what I need from Rick's or whom ever for my 69. The courtesy lights I think were deluxe interior and convertible options only correct? I have the standard interior which don't have the wiring at all.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 07:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I added the glovebox light years ago, and not that long ago replaced the courtesy light harness on my 68 vert.

The glovebox light is an option. The repro harness that is sold connects to an existing orange wire under the dash, and it is a "Y" with a third connector so the orange wire can continue on. In my car, this wire was hanging unused.

The under dash courtesy lights can be easily added to any car I think. It plugs into a connector above the ebrake assembly, and includes both underdash light sockets and the wire for the pass side door switch. The harness routes along the very top inside of the dash, all the way across. I've never had a coupe, but I'll assume they had a hraness with a single white wire for the pass door switch along the same routing, which the ragtop courtesy light harness would replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Charles

on 69's the intermediate harness that runs along the drivers door jamb has an extra connector for the underdash courtesy lights to plug into. you will need to replace that harness with the correct one or else tap into 12v somewhere.

the orange glovebox light wire is under the dash on all cars i believe. it exits the main harness at the same place the orange cig lighter wire does, right behind the ashtray. all you need for the glovebox light is the plastic parts, spring and chrome bezel that go inside the glovebox.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Garage

If you are not worried about originality, can't you just splice into the harness and put as many under dash lights in as you want?

You could make it really bright if you were so inclined...no?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 06, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks everybody for the info. I will do some checking this weekend to see if I can find those connections. Checking thru the assembly manual shows where the harness is supposed to be located under the dash, but doesn't really note where any connections are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode