1969 camaro dome light harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

1969 camaro dome light harness

does anyone know is there an easy way to run a new dome light harness or where i can buy just the light bulb terminal?thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 1969 camaro dome light harness

Harness is secured half way across, at least mine was. I replaced mine with the headliner out but you can fishwire using a coathanger the wire from the light towards the drivers edge and just pull away some of the headliner in that area if you want.
Another option is just buy the new light harness, its not much, then cut the wires an inch from the end and using heat shrink and solder connect it up to the old harness. You'll need someone to hold a block of wood up there to give yourself something to solder against.
Then go LED light instead of incandescent so that you don't melt the new base and you get more light. The 39mm 9 LED Super White bulbs work great and cost $6.99 from http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm Be sure to get one for the rear console light as well.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks brian,can i use a wire connector to attach both wires together.and the led bulb fits the same way and wont get to hot?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

thanks brian, can i use a wire connector to attach the wires together.and the led bulb fits the same way and wont get to hot?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 06, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

thanks brian,can i use a wire connector to connect the wires together and does the led bulb goes in the same way and it wont get to hot?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 06, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

Yes you could use a crimper and wire connectors, then electrical tape or Heat Shrink (radio shack has it in all sizes) around that to secure the connection. The LED Bulb doesn't get hot like the stock bulb does. LED puts off very little if any heat but its not as bright as a stock incandescent bulb unfortunately.
I am thinking of buying 2 more of these LED bulbs and using a small piece of aluminum and solder the two additional bulbs to the sides of the primary center bulb, thus giving me triple the LED light (27 LEDs total). One aiming straight down, one angled towards the driver side and one angled just slightly for the passenger side.

and

Last edited by Brian Lewis; May 10th, 06 at 05:03 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 06, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

Just an update for those. I have the 39mm size but after playing around with it today I feel the 44mm (Superstars) would be best and will fit both in the overhead and the rear console without modifications.
I've also took some measurements and it seems I can fit 3 (44mm) and 3 (39mm) bulbs in the overhead light fixture. I'd have to get one of those bare circuit boards at Radio Shack and solder in some wire to solder to the bulbs that I would place against it. I could then probably rig it so that a 44mm bulb is in the center and would attach to the stock connectors and get the power for the other lights on the board. 6 bulbs x 9 LEDs would mean 54 LED lights and I can angle a few forward, down, and back so as to distribute the light well. The idea being 2 (39mm) up front horz, (2) 44mm behind that horz, a 44mm vertical attaching to the stock clips, then a 39mm behind that horz angled towards the rear passenger area.
So I just ordered 4 SuperStars and another 39mm so I can rig up 3 Superstar 44mm and 3 (39mm) overhead with 1 Superstar 44 in the rear console. I'll post pics once I get it all dialed in. Btw NO HEAT us generated by these lights, you stick your finger over them and can't feel a thing.

and

Last edited by Brian Lewis; May 10th, 06 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode