1 or 3 wire alt? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

1 or 3 wire alt?

I purhased an alt. at Super Chevy a few months ago and had a brain fart because I realized after I got home with it it has an internal reg. ? is, are there any advantages to changing to a one wire and how difficult is it?

Thanks, Joe.
69 Camaro BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 08:49 PM
Retired
Jim

Re: 1 or 3 wire alt?

read up in their tech sections at www.madelectrical.com they tell you both sides to your question

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan

According to Mad Electrical (http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml) the only advantage to the one-wire is it's easy to hook up.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

thats what iw as thinking i have a 1 wire and it looks neater and hooks up easier than the other 3 wire i had...both are the same performance wise..both were chrome

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Thanks guys.. I have some new reading material now..
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

check out yearwood speed and cutoms...we get great pricing from there since in our shope we order a ton of stuff...i am not sure how they compare to other..but i get my taylor wires and otehr stuff from them even though they are geared more towards hot rods and classics they have somre really cool chrome and other special stuff...thats where i got my alternator

My car pics...

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

also in there and in summit you can get a kit to change your 3 wire alt...to a one wire..for pretty cheap

My car pics...

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 10:31 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

I just bought an internal regulator alternator for my 68 today ( 3 wire ) and the plug looks different from the one on my original. Old one on the right . How did you guys handle that ?

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68
I just bought an internal regulator alternator for my 68 today ( 3 wire ) and the plug looks different from the one on my original. Old one on the right . How did you guys handle that ?
You need to change some of the wiring to use the new alternator
At the old voltage regulator disconnect the plug and tie the blue and brown together and the white and red together. At the alternator blue goes to 1# terminal and the white to the 2# terminal. There are numbers on the back of your new alternator to show which terminal is which (1 and 2). If you don't want to cut any of your original wiring you can buy conversion plugs that make changing from a externally regulated alternator to a internally regulated alternator a plug and play deal, you need part# 27555 from here
http://www.americanautowire.com/prod...rsion_Kits.cfm

Greg U

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 12:59 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

You can also buy the pigtail connector from pretty much any parts store.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

ok, silly question.. If you use the pigtail adapter does anything need to be done with the other wiring (external reg. or horn relay)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The changes noted above still need to be done to the regulator connector. I have seen conversion plugs that will do this for you, just plug it into the harness in place of the regulator

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
The changes noted above still need to be done to the regulator connector. I have seen conversion plugs that will do this for you, just plug it into the harness in place of the regulator
Correct, either you have to cut and splice the wires as shown above or get the conversion plugs. I always mention the conversion plugs as it gives you the option to go back to a externally regulated alternator if you wish. Important to some if the car is close to stock.

Greg U

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 06:43 PM
Guess

Here's another way to look at it......
https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 11:34 AM

I have the same alt as jr68 has on the left in the pic eccept my mounting holes are in a different spot and mine is chrome with no numbers so I just wanted to make sure that the 1&2 are still the same on mine.also there was a rubber plug covering what is 1$2 on jr68's. I'm sure they are the same I just wanted to double check with you guy's so I don't burn it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode