Interior Light LED Project - Super LED! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Interior Light LED Project - Super LED!

Well I'm working on creating an LED light setup for the interior light that will produce about 4 times as much light as the stock bulb, yet produce no heat!

I bought the following:
Wafer Board from Circuit City ($3.99)
44mm Superstar Bright White ( QTY 4 ) autolumination.com $7.99/ea
9 LED Festoon Bulb ( QTY 1 ) autolumination.com $6.99

The 44mm Superstar is very very bright, its got 12 LEDs imbedded inside its case and is probably 80% the light of a stock 211-2 bulb, yet it produces no heat. I wanted BRIGHTER, so I am rigging up 4 of these guys + a smaller 9 LED bulb to aim slightly towards the rear. Could have easily fit 6-7 total Superstars and not used the 9LED bulb but I didn't know until I had already epoxied the lights onto the board. 2 more could go on the sides of the middle bulb, they would just have to be spaced out a few mm to allow the stock clips to clamp onto the middle bulb. I am using 30 minute epoxy to adhere the LED lights to the board. I cut the stock housing up with a dremel to allow the board to sit flush with the bottom. I still have to use some large paperclips and solder the middle bulb to the positive and negatives on the other bulbs so they can get power when its plugged in. When its all done I will be able to screw the base plate back up onto the ceiling and push the wafer board into place, allowing the stock clips to clamp the middle bulb.

More pictures will come once I finish this project tomorrow.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 07:14 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: Interior Light LED Project - Super LED!

That's a sweet idea! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up Re: Interior Light LED Project - Super LED!

I need to do the same thing. Keep us posted. Looks good so far.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 06, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok its finished!! A few notes though!!

1) Its about twice the brightness of stock, not 4 times, but the heat generated is a very small amount so it won't melt or discolor the base or cover.

2) The 44mm SuperStar lights don't like the heat from the soldering iron, when applied it caused all the lights to fail. I found that this is because the endcaps are glued onto the ends and thus they touch the wire on each side, somehow the heat causes this metal to not make a good contact anymore. I removed the endcaps and soldered directly to the wire underneith on the front ones. The middle one I couldn't since I needed it for clamping so I used pliers and applied some pressure to clamp it around, I then tested to see if it would light, I did this 3-4 times until I found the magic setting for the middle light to light up. The 39mm I have on the rear doesn't have this issue but its not as bright as the Superstars.

3) I would use 6 Superstars next time instead of 4+1 like I did

4) Thick Paperclip works great for interconnecting the bulbs

5) I still used a 39mm 9 LED for the rear of the console because of its tight area it would be hard to get a 44mm Superstar in there without shorting things out. It could be done but you would have to disconnect the battery first because the metal box around the SuperStar is metal and is very close to the endcaps.

6) 30 minute Epoxy worked excellent, there is no way those bulbs are coming off of the base

7) Clamping of the stock wire clamps worked out great, no need for additional adhesive behind wafer board.

8) The stock 'cover' really removes the brightness. Its definitely 4 times brighter than stock with the cover off, but with the cover on I feel its about twice as bright as stock with cover.

and
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 06, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sweet.. nice job.. custom stuff is always cool...

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 06, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Some times I hate these sorts of posts...they come up when Im falt out at work , and have a heap of other stuff on...and I want to do it now.
Excellent post, and damn good notes
Copy pasted into my To_Do_Notes folder for future reference
Thanks
Steps

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

BTW Wafer Board was from Radio Shack not Circuit City, sorry

and
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Neat. Do you think hitting the wafer board with chrome paint woud make it any brighter? Given the time since you've made it, anything else you'd do differently?

<thread subscribed>

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No LED's are a direct light, unlike the incandescent which shine light 360 degrees around. So chrome paint would not reflect much. In fact it would probably cause issues because it would ground out the LED bulbs!
Anything different? It would be neat to get some LED's mounted in other areas like along the sides of the roof and maybe two that shine directly to the console, similiar to how most cars work now. Some day..

and
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 07:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Thanks, looks like a possible winter project.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode