clutch safty switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 06, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation clutch safty switch

Just restored 69 Z/28 clone with manaul transmission and wired with American Autowire wiring harness. We have a altinator with built in regulator. Having problems getting the vehicle to start. We think it might be the clutch safety switch. Need any information on clutch safety switch, or nuetral safety switch. We do not have a safety clutch switch and think it might be the problem. Do you have to have one for a 69 ? If so let me know any info that might be related. the car was origanaly an automatic so could the problem be in the collum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 06, 02:26 PM

Re: clutch safty switch

Meola,

Yes the 69's do have a clutch safety switch. I just had to replace mine because my car would not start and I conformed that it was the problem (by bypassing it). I am not sure about your specific case, new wiring, but as far as I know and believe all of the manual cars came with them. The car will not start unless the clutch pedal is pushed in. There is a small linkage bar (less than 2 inches long) that attatches to the top area of the clutch pedal and connects it to the safety switch against the firewall. The switch somewhat looks like a signal flasher that when the pedal is pushed in, the bar turns part of the switch to allow the car to start. I know in the archives there is a picture of one. Rick's has them on their site and that is where I got mine.

I am not sure about your problem in the column, I am sure more of the guys will help out here. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 06, 02:43 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Is the harness factory style? If so you need to find the wire or plug (purple ,pinks?) for the clutch safty switch. Try and set up a jumper ad give it a shot. If your harness is factory style your going to need a switch or chance the jumper wire I did for a few weeks. Let us know if that does'nt work.

Most recent 01/01/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 06, 08:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Are you getting juice to the dash and other accessories? A lot of people miss the lead off the positive cable that goes to the junction block behind the battery.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 07:22 PM
Team Member
John

The '69 clutch safety switch is shown in the Assembly Manual in UPC 6, sheet B10.

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 08:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If your car was originally an automatic, did you replace your dash harness with one for a manual trans car?

If you did, you need to connect the clutch safety switch.

If you kept the original auto harness, and everything is actually connected, including the connector to the backup lite / neutral safety switch on top of the column, try turning the base of the column, where it comes out of the dash, counterclockwise as far as it will go, it will fire right up.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech

Any pick of this switch? I like to install one in a 67 manuel car altough I don't have to.

67 LS1 T56

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode