I need to convert from HEI to old points and wires may not be there.. help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
bill

I need to convert from HEI to old points and wires may not be there.. help!

I have a 69 z/28 that I bought years ago and it had a HEI distributor in it and the 480 was in the trunk. I want to convert back to the original and rebuilt the distributor, got a coil, etc. and went to install and wondered why the hei was wired directly to the fuse box so did some research and found I need two wires, yellow from starter solenoid and the other is a resistive wire from the harness. Problem is this, what color am I looking for in the harness, If I can't find it can I buy a resistive wire and connect it to any 12v source and it will give me what I need at the coil? give me some help here please!!!

thanks, Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 06:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: I need to convert from HEI to old points and wires may not be there.. help!

The resister wire is covered with a white fabric covering, it will be easy to spot if it's still there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
bill

I found a wire that is colored sort of that way for about 18-24 inches from the firewall connection. is there a way to tell from output with an ohm meter or something if that is for sure it? thanks for the help Jim..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

there's really no way to tell with a guage, it wouldn't load the wire enough to create any voltage drop so wouldn't read any resistance.

If you strip some of the insulation off, the =wire is much thinner than you would expect. It is the only wire in the car with this type of fabric covering. It used to go all the way to the coil, but may have been cut off and taped back when the hei was installed.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilede
If I can't find it can I buy a resistive wire and connect it to any 12v source and it will give me what I need at the coil? give me some help here please!!!

thanks, Bill.
You can't use just any 12v source, it must be a IGN on source, be it from the fuse box or the IGN switch. If the original wire is no longer there, and if its a original Z car, I would search some of the online parts places for a replacement. If you just buy resistance wire, the wire must have the correct resistance and length or it won't work correctly. Another option is to replace the engine harness (around 100 bucks)

Greg U

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
bill

thanks for all the help guys, yes undee I meant a 12v source switched on by the ignition but thanks for watching my back. I dug somemore and this is the wire covered by fabric but its only about 18 inches long, can I extend it with a 20 guage wire from there to the coil or does it really need to be the resistent wire all the way?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilede
I dug somemore and this is the wire covered by fabric but its only about 18 inches long, can I extend it with a 20 guage wire from there to the coil or does it really need to be the resistent wire all the way?
Will it reach the coil? Was the "U" shaped connector on the end of it? If not someone may have cut it off. If its only a couple of inches, you can try to extend it. The resistance wire cuts the voltage back for points life. The worse thing that can happen is the points may not last as long compared to a full length wire.

Greg U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode