Alternator / volatge regulator help needed!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 06, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Alternator / volatge regulator help needed!!!

I have a 68 and have just completely reworked the engine installing a MSD system. I did have to install the littel diode to get the car to turn off. I replaced the voltage regulator with a new one and thought it was bad, but after reading JimM's post about checking the charging system I am not sure.

In JimM's post in checking the charging system he states: With the key off:
The blue wire at the alternator should be at 0 volts, the white wire should be at .06 v. or zero. The problem I have is when I check mine I have 14.53 at the blue wire and 0 on the white wire. My GEN light comes on inside the car when the key is turned on but stays on when I crank the car. The initial voltage readings at the alternator are diferent from JIMM's. Not sure what to do next. I didn't replace the original wiring harness as it was in pretty good shape.
The only upgrades to any electrical are: New Altenator, New MSD ingition system (MSD-6AL).
Any suggestions are welcomed !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 06, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Alternator / volatge regulator help needed!!!

One thing kinda bothering me is your report of 14.63 volts with the key on. Is the motor running or not? If the motor's not running, there's no way the system voltage could be that high.

If the engine is running, then 14 on blue and zero on red would be normal if you were not actually charging. The 14 on the blue tells me the regulator is commanding a charge, and zero on white tells me it ain't happening.

How bout some more background?
When was the last time this thing charged right?
What's been changed since?
Are there any other related posts here?
Also, this is an external regulator system, right?
The small connector on your new alternator looks like this: ll not this: -- ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 06, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: Alternator / volatge regulator help needed!!!

JimM, thanks for the much needed help!!!!
I went back out and check the blue wire again and its reading about 14.5 with my meter. (The battery is also reading about 14.5 volts) meter could be slightly out of calibration,, don;t know) The key is off and the car is not running.
The last time the car charges properly was before the engine upgrades. I replaced the alternater with a ll type plug in, which is what was on the car before any modifications. I changed the alternator and the ingition system. I installed a MSD dist. and MSD 6AL control box. I did have to add the little diode near the voltage regulator to get the car to shut off when the key was switched off. This is working. The alternator does have an external regulator which I replaced and just today replaced the newly installed on to see if the problem was actually the voltage regulator. I pu tthe old voltage regulator back on and the "GEN" light doesn't work at all. I did just replace the battery with a new Optmia 800 cca amp red top battery so the battery is fully charged at this time. I noticed that the horn relay appears to be the original one and does it need to be replaced and/or grounded? I didn't replace the wiring harness since mine was in pretty good shape already. Sorry for the long post but wanted to get you as much info as possible. Thanks again for your help!!!
One thing I did notice was that my voltage regulator was not gounded with a wire since it mounts directly to the Rad support but when I installed a ground wire from the little blade on the back side of the regulator the GEN light got really bright. (What appears to be a normal brightness). Open for suggestions!!!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Alternator / volatge regulator help needed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange 68
JimM, thanks for the much needed help!!!!
I went back out and check the blue wire again and its reading about 14.5 with my meter. (The battery is also reading about 14.5 volts) meter could be slightly out of calibration,, don;t know) The key is off and the car is not running.

One thing I did notice was that my voltage regulator was not gounded with a wire since it mounts directly to the Rad support but when I installed a ground wire from the little blade on the back side of the regulator the GEN light got really bright. (What appears to be a normal brightness). Open for suggestions!!!!!
If your battery reads 14 volts without the engine running, then it is being heavily overcharged. A freshly charged battery, even one sitting overnight, should no more then 12.6 volts, ie, 100% charged.

The regulator chassis, frame, the gray part, should be grounded to the radiator support. The reg does bolt to the support, but, if stock, it bolts to rubber nuts for vibration purposes. The chassis should be grounded, not any terminal from the bottom of the regulator. There may have been a separate black wire from the chassis the support or ground strap about one of the mounting bolts from the old reg should have been transfered to the new reg.

With the key on, engine not running, GEN light will be bright, same illumination as the OIL light. The ignition switch supplies 12 volts to one side of the bulb. Engine starts, reg tells alt to charge, reg supplies 12 volts to other side of bulb, GEN light goes out.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode