Charging Woes - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Question Charging Woes

Hotter car runs the voltage drops. Before new battery car 210 voltage 8-10 at idle, 2500rpm barely 12v. After new battery it seems a little better. 2500 RPM voltage around 13, idle 12 or less at 185 degrees. I have a 1 wire alt, spal 16'' fan, DSE halogen lights and no electric fuel pump. Do I need a higher output alt or switch to a 3 wire system? Planning on putting in dual fans and possibly a descent stereo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am aso not very good at figuring this wiring stuff out. That's why I am asking you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Charging Woes

Go to 3-wire system, better regulation of voltage out. You may want to get an alt of min of 100Amp output.

You may have to have present alt tested externally to determine if it is faulty. It reads like it is faulty, but, if alt can't output what is being asked of it, then voltage drops, or a diode has opened up, killing output.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to add that I am running a msd 6al box as well. We tested the alt and it read between 40-50 amps output. I'm thinking a new alt. Which type would best suit me?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

A 12si or a CS130, at least a 100 amp. The biggest concern with alternators is what they put out at idle and slower speeds, not the max rating. Also do not underdrive the alternator, see reasons here
http://www.powermastermotorsports.co...r_pulleys.html
Use a 3 wire alt. See the reasons here
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml
Changing to a 3 wire is easy, you can even use the original wiring, see mods below

If you don't want to cut your original wiring you can buy conversion plugs, one for the voltage regulator on the rad support, the other is a short adapter to make the original wiring plug into the new alternator. you can get conversion plugs here
http://www.americanautowire.com/prod...rsion_Kits.cfm
and other places

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

I have a 1 wire now, will it be much trouble to convert back to original? I do have the March pulleys, does March make different size alt. pulleys?
I went to get car inspected last night and while sitting in the lanes car started getting warm 210-220 and the voltage got down to around 10.5-12volts. 16''fan on, DSE lights on and 6alMSD box firing. When they were checking everything I noticed when the blinker was flashing the amp gauge would move with the flash. Also, when idling the lights do go dim.
I ended up shutting car down and let cool. My biggest worry is if I get somewhere and want to leave, my car isn't going to start. I WANT RELIABILITY!!!! I'm going to make some calls today and read what you guys suggest.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 06, 01:17 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502prostreet
I have a 1 wire now, will it be much trouble to convert back to original?
Depends on if the original wiring for charging system is still there. Even if its not there you can always run new wires.

I do have the March pulleys, does March make different size alt. pulleys?
I went to get car inspected last night and while sitting in the lanes car started getting warm 210-220 and the voltage got down to around 10.5-12volts. 16''fan on, DSE lights on and 6alMSD box firing. When they were checking everything I noticed when the blinker was flashing the amp gauge would move with the flash. Also, when idling the lights do go dim.
I ended up shutting car down and let cool. My biggest worry is if I get somewhere and want to leave, my car isn't going to start. I WANT RELIABILITY!!!! I'm going to make some calls today and read what you guys suggest.
Yes, the do make diff size pulleys. What is your alt to crank pulley ratio? Does the voltage go up if you run the engine at faster RPMs? Do you have a amp gauge or a volt gauge? Ideally, you want the volt gauge to hold steady at 14 volts with everything on at idle.

Greg U

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 06, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to measure pulleys tonight. The pulley on alternator looks a little larger than stock. Yes, voltage goes go up with rpm's. If my fan is on and the headlights the volt gauge around 12. Running at 2500 rpm's almost 14v.
I am going to order a 140 amp alternator, upgrade wire on alt to 6 gauge. I will replace the wires as they are now. Can anyone tell me how it is suppose to run. ALT-SOLENOID-BATT or ALT-BATT-SOLENOID. I will also look on here for diagram.
I am also going to replace all grounds with the braided straps from Taylor. One more thing, I am going to put relays at headlights to help out the front end. Hopefully all of this will fix my problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 06, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
I'm going to measure pulleys tonight. The pulley on alternator looks a little larger than stock. Yes, voltage goes go up with rpm's. If my fan is on and the headlights the volt gauge around 12. Running at 2500 rpm's almost 14v.
That might be most of your problem right there, alternators need at least 2400 alt shaft RPMs, anything less and output drops off substantially. Even a 200 amp alt will have poor output if it isn't spinning fast enough.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how it is suppose to run. ALT-SOLENOID-BATT or ALT-BATT-SOLENOID. I will also look on here for diagram.
I am also going to replace all grounds with the braided straps from Taylor.
It will "work" either way but it would be better to have the alt wired to the horn relay ( or a main junction or your chosing) and have all of your accessories wired from there. When the car is running, (and everything working correctly) the alt powers everything in the car and charges the battery. The battery only takes over when the alt can't keep up and when it can't, voltage drops. Using the horn relay, this puts the alt closer to the things it is powering. It is also difficult to wire many accessories from the battery or the solinoid. See this link on main system wiring, a good read
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml

Greg U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode