Wiring Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Wiring Help

Hey everyone,
I realize when I need to ask for some help when it comes to certain items on my car. Since I am still learning, I promised myself that I would not tinker with anything on the car that could lead to safety problems if not done correctly. One of those things is the wiring. The wiring in the car, done by the previous owner is old and awful. Can anyone recommend a pro in the southwest Michigan area or Northern Indiana area that can quickly and correctly install a new wiring harness? Please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Wiring Help

You might start here, by reading the sticky's at the top of electrical.
lots of good stuff, basic theory, measurements, some troubleshooting.
Check back too, I add new stuff every once in a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

If you noticed that the work done by the previous owner is awful, then that's a start.....hehe. Which harness is in need of replacement? Alot of the work could be done by yourself along with some guidance from TC here. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask questions. There is always someone glad to help

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

!st u need a wiring diagram...I do not recomend to re wire construct new looms yourself as a 1st time on a camaro...u WILL get into a huge mess.
As a 1st time a T bucket is the best place to start for a 1st time.
Alternativly u can purchase ready made looms for different parts of the car..ie engine/front, sections of the interor, rear trunk.
These u pull, say, head light, connect/replace each in one at a time...methodically...checking colour coding from the wiring diagrams.
Or if have a heap of money, pay a auto sparky to do the same thing.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
John

Wiring harnesses are fairly simple to replace. R&R. Remove and replace. Always, always disconect the battery when you start tinkering around with wires. That is unless of course you need to measure voltage at any certain connection.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 07:38 PM

say i just got my 68 and its ok shape .the wiring i dont if it any good can i just install a battery and see what happens
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

I second the harness replacement it is very easy to unplug and plug in a new one.That was the first wiring I did on my vert the RS harnes was melted in spots and lights didnt work. I ordered a factory fit harness from Ricks and it was plug and play!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode