wiring questions - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Electrical Basics

jimM im new in here i just got my 68 and i dont know were i stand on the elec . do i just throw a battery in it and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: wiring questions

hey, that was cool, managed to move your post off my sticky and start you your own thread, never did that before.

How bout some pics and details on your car? It's complete, I assume? What kinda shape? How long since it ran? pics?

Give us some info.

oh yea, and welcome to Team Camaro, the best place on the internet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

its a 68 and its been sitting in the garage since 1980 38,000 miles on it original they say it ran when they drove it in there and never turned it back on all numbers match so im happy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech

If it was parked that long, you're going to want to read up on bringing it out of long term storage. I'll do some searching and see if I can point you the right direction.

As far as getting electrical power to it, unless it had wires chewed up by mice or something, the wiring should be fine.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

Here's a start for info on how to safely bring the engine back to life.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...g+term+storage

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 08:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Well if it's been in a garage for 25 years, you're gonna need to at least do some checking first.

Item 1: rodent and animal damage. inspect all the wiring and rubber hoses and things, make sure nuttin is chewed up, no bare wires, no bad fuel lines.

Item 2: Vital fluids. Oil and filter change, make sure something liquid is in the radiator, same with the trans.

Item 3: Brakes. Jack the car up, put it in nuetral, make sure you can turn all 4 wheel, make sure the brake pedal feels normal, inspec the rubber lines at each fron wheel and the center of the rear axle, make sure when you press the brake pedal you can't turn the wheels.

Item 4: Power. put in a new battery. Do not try to start it. Turn the key on and see what works. fuel guage, warning light, exterior lights, everything.

Item 5: Fuel. What gas is in it is gonna be nasty after 25 years. Being a chevy, it likely to start and run anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to go thru and clean the carb, drain the tank, blow out the fuel line, and put some fresh fuel in it.

Item 5: Get the engine ready to run again. This one might be worth a new post in engines.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys big help . I feel i did the right thing in joining team camaro thank a lot .More ?? to come
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

were do i go to get info on the steps i need to get sarted on my 68 do i try to get it started first or break it down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode