how do i install a push button starter switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 24th, 06, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Question how do i install a push button starter switch

i have a 1968 camaro, i lost the keys for the ignition and rather then replace it i want to put in toggle switches and push button starter switch, trying to go for that nascar dash look. i have all the toggle switches but have no idea what wire go to which switch, i have a 3 post toggle with power acc, ground.
another toggle with power, ground. and the starter button with i guess power and ground...aall i want is to make it so that i can turn the power of the car on and off and start...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 02:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: how do i install a push button starter switch

dont do it
#1 the car will be easier to rip off
#2 I think the cops will give you a hassle and give you a fix it ticket.
#3 replacing the switch in the columb isnt that hard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
push button starter switch
1/ replace the ignition switch...
And a push button start...if any of the have a car that has one....stock...or can remember when most cars did lol
One turned the switch(key in the center) and pressed a button on the dash.
Simply splice into the ignition ciruit and put the switch in after....AND like NASCAR...over engineer them...high amp rating.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Remove the purple wire from the "S" terminal on the solenoid.
Get a marine push button switch.
Run a 12 AWG wire from the solenoid battery post to one side of the p/b switch.
Run another length of 12 AWG wire from the other p/b switch terminal to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

Ignition key to IGN, push the button.

I have one installed on the intake on its own homemade bracket so I can bump the engine over to adjust the valves.

Replacing the ignition switch on a 68 is simple. Remove the ground cable, remove the bezel nut, pull switch down below the dash to unplug the connector. Reasemble in reverse order. Reattach the ground cable. Would be alot safer for you and others.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd also recommend replacing the ignition switch.

To add to everett's directions:

Before the bezel will come off, you need to pull the lock cylinder. Turn the key to accessory, push a paper clip in the hole to depress a lil tab inside, then tue key will turn forther counter clockwise and you'll be able to pull the cylinder with the key.

If you lost the keys, the previous step will probably require screwing a slide hammer into the keyhole and forcibly removing the lock cylinder. This will destroy both the cylinder and the ignition switch.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Cool Re: how do i install a push button starter switch

I remember the switch being on the floor to the right of the gas pedal. The dimmer switch was on the floor on the left side. Oh! That's right! First gen Camaros have the dimmer switch on the floor, were it belongs.

I also use a switch to bump it over for maintenance work wired into the cowl vent plenum chamber on the fire wall. And I also recommend having a keyed switch with a second hidden switch to control the electric fuel pump you may not have to deter thieves. By the way the first place a thief looks for a switch is under the dash, so that should be the last place it should be hidden.

Larger Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Thanks, JimM, I forgot.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
I'd also recommend replacing the ignition switch.

To add to everett's directions:

Before the bezel will come off, you need to pull the lock cylinder. Turn the key to accessory, push a paper clip in the hole to depress a lil tab inside, then tue key will turn forther counter clockwise and you'll be able to pull the cylinder with the key.

If you lost the keys, the previous step will probably require screwing a slide hammer into the keyhole and forcibly removing the lock cylinder. This will destroy both the cylinder and the ignition switch.
You'd probably bend the dash doing that. Better to have it picked or drill it out. A good locksmith could pick that lock in 10 seconds or less.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 06, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Take longer for the locksmith to pick than it would to do it correctly.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode