How to mount battery in trunk? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 06, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How to mount battery in trunk?

I like to get some info on how to securly mount the battery in trunk. Some picks or link to parts would be greatly appriciated. I read almost eveything about it but could not see or figured it out how to secure.
Thanks.

67 LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 06, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech

Re: How to mount battery in trunk?

You can purchase a battery "hold down" tray, it's much like a stock one really. There's two long bolts with wingnuts attached to a bracket across the top that holds it down, they're available at Jegs and Summitt etc.........here's mine:

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 06:04 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Best, is to get an enclosed battery box and mount it in the trunk, and vent the box outside of the car.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 06:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Don't forget really really big cables. You'll need a long heavy cable for the positive line from the battery to the starter. Another 10 guage or better from the starter to either the junction block by the original battery location or the horn relay, to power the rest of the car.

Grounds have to be big too. From the battery to the sheetmetal in the trunk, then from the firewall (where the inner fender supports attach is good) to the engine block (never the front sheetmetal or the frame, iffy connections.)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 08:45 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Oh, and while you're redoing this cabling, now is a VERY good time to put a cut off switch in-line to disconnect battery power to the car.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Here's mine. The mount is aluminum and purchased from Speedway Motors. It's not as blingy as some others, but very functional and well built. Different versions are available depending on which Optima battery you have.

For several of the base mounting bolts there is no way to get to the underside to install a nut. I used toggle bolts, and they have worked very well. There's many hours of road coarse hours on it.

I elected not to install the cutoff switch externally. However, I wanted to be able to isolate the battery if necessary. The switch is mounted next to the battery on a simple aluminum plate and two clamps. It's not as sturdy as a hard mount, but it's not going anywhere. A 5-amp circuit breaker keeps the clock and radios up to date but will not start the engine without tripping. To totally kill the power I just touch the starter.

The ground is attached to the body using the bolt just to the left of the battery. A second cable runs from the frame to the bellhousing. The positive cable runs to the front right of the engine compartment where a distribution block is mounted to route power to the rest of the car. For the best routing of the cable through the firewall there are bulkhead power posts available through most mail order companies.

Last edited by CarlC; May 29th, 06 at 03:58 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 03:54 PM

that one is pretty cool!

I think i'll use that in the next car i do with a rear firewall.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

It's easy,..1g (or bigger) negative wire from battery to the frame. 1g from the sub-frame to the engine (I have subframe connectors,..if you don't, run a 1g wire from the rear frame rail to the rear of the sub-frame). 1g positive wire from the battery to the starter (starter solenoid actually...I ran mine over the RH wheel well, through the interior by the rear seat, up the channel under the passenger side door, under the kick panel, under the interior heater box, out the firewall near the starter). Then run a 10-12g wire from "the splice" (on the driver's side near the voltage regulator) to the starter solenoid,..same terminal as the positive wire from the battery.

Use the Optima battery (many are making slick tie-downs like the above,..Detroit Steel for instance) which won't fume up the cabin or corrode the trunk,..plus it's a damn good battery.

Use grommets where wire penetrates sheet metal (three places) and I used that plastic convalute (sp) insulation for the positive wire for the trip from the batt to the starter.

Last edited by Straight-line-69; May 30th, 06 at 08:00 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC
Here's mine. The mount is aluminum and purchased from Speedway Motors. It's not as blingy as some others, but very functional and well built. Different versions are available depending on which Optima battery you have.

For several of the base mounting bolts there is no way to get to the underside to install a nut. I used toggle bolts, and they have worked very well. There's many hours of road coarse hours on it.

I elected not to install the cutoff switch externally. However, I wanted to be able to isolate the battery if necessary. The switch is mounted next to the battery on a simple aluminum plate and two clamps. It's not as sturdy as a hard mount, but it's not going anywhere. A 5-amp circuit breaker keeps the clock and radios up to date but will not start the engine without tripping. To totally kill the power I just touch the starter.

The ground is attached to the body using the bolt just to the left of the battery. A second cable runs from the frame to the bellhousing. The positive cable runs to the front right of the engine compartment where a distribution block is mounted to route power to the rest of the car. For the best routing of the cable through the firewall there are bulkhead power posts available through most mail order companies.

My question was how to secure the battery tray/mount to the flor/frame. That's explains CarlC.
Thanks

67 LS1 T56

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 06, 01:52 PM
Mark

Talking Re: How to mount battery in trunk?

Try Mark at MAD Electrical, he really knows his stuff, and does a complete battery relocation kit (inc battery box):

http://www.madelectrical.com/

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 06, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I copied CarlC's method using the same Speedway motors tray and MAD rear battery mount kit. I have recieved a lot of compliments and it starts better than before.

Brad
68 Camaro
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 06, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you use a standard plate battery, turn the battery 90* from CarlC's picture.

I used 3/8 threaded rod, a battery tray, a box, and 1/8 inch thick steel plate the width of the frame rail and the length of the tray for reinforcement outside at the rail, in lieu of washers, and bolted the combo through the frame rail, including the battery.

I used 4/0 welding cable with crimped and soldered connections. Ran a 4/0 ground cable from the engine to the frame and ground cable from the roll bar pad in the trunk. A solder pot will aid in tinning the large cable. Have patience while the pot heats.

Just remember, the more strands the to the wire/cable, the more current it can carry. Yes, copper is heavy per foot, but an excellent conductor.

Once you move battery to the trunk, you need to either move the "sense" wire on your internal regulated alternator to the battery, or if running ext reg alt, adjust charging voltage measured at the battery to compensate.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode