voltage regulator question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

voltage regulator question

I have installed a new alternator using the old voltage regulator (external). When I put the OEM type voltage regulator (coils inside box) on, everything work just fine except I am charging at about 15 volts (seems a little high). The idiot light is also out while the car is running. I wanted to upgrade to a chrome regulator (transistor insides) and when I put it on, I am charging at about 14.2 volts at the battery and the GEN light is on dim. I can swap back to the original type and the idiot lights is out and back at 15 volts. I even looked at swapping covers on the regulator but they are different sizes. Has anyone experienced this problem? if so what did you do? Suggestions welcome!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: voltage regulator question

Do you have the ground wire on the regulator connected?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech

It's seems strange that the idiot light would come on at 14.2 volts, since that is still in the good charge range. Like Jim said, check the ground wire and make sure the regulator is grounded. There is a way to adjust the OEM regulator to lower the voltage, but check the ground first.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check brown wire on the reg connector for a 67 & 69, & 70. This is the wire going back to the other side of the GEn light. Ign switch provides the one side at the GEN light.

Check the pink(?) wire for a 68 for the same.

As said, ground the chassis of reg and be sure its the same at alt case.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I will have to go out and check out the chrome voltage regulator today. I was thinking that the new chrome could be preventing it from grounding to the rad support. It is mounted directly to the rad support so no ground wire should be required, I would think. I will look at this today. Thanks again for hte quick replys. Will also look at wiring as suggested.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 05:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

There is a section on external reg systems in the electrical basics sticky at the top of that forum. It includes voltage readings from a "good" ext reg system, compare those with your readings.

The 68 regulator is "supposed" to mount with 3 rubber expansion plugs, and requires a separate ground wire. Even if you through bolted it directly, it's possible to likely that you didn't get a good connection thru the new paint on the rad support. Try a voltmeter check between the reg base and the neg battery terminal, should be zero, or just put some star washers between the reg base and the rad support to ensure a good connection.

I agree it is highly odd to have the gen light on with 14 volts on the system.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode