low fuel light on all the time - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

low fuel light on all the time

Hi everyone. My 1967 RS Coupe is optioned with a four speed, consol gauge package, factory tach and low fuel light. The Low fuel light stays on regardless of fuel level. I removed the dash cluster to inspect the problem. I found a yellow lead wire from the main harness pluged into a push in black bulb socket which was pluged into the back of the gauge housing. Here is the strange part, some previous owned lifted the printed circuit so the push in black bulb socket would not touch the circuit. I then placed the plug in bulb socket on top of the printed circuit and into the hole and fried the circuit. I'm having a new circuit overnighted for tomorrow. I need some one to tell me if this yellow wire lead is correct for this location or if I need to go buy a peanut bulb and instument light socket and not use this yellow wire and push in socket that holds a twist bulb like the high beam socket.

Thanks in advance,

David Brecher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: low fuel light on all the time

Yellow wire lead is a ground connection. Low fuel light bulb in dash has 12V all the time, but is only grounded thru the low fuel module when gas is down to about 2 or 3 gallons. The ground side of the low fuel lamp is connected to the low fuel module in the console with a yellow wire. Can't tell by your description if its the same wire or not.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 07:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It kinda sounds like you're dealing with a not perfectly done conversion.

Is the low fuel module present in the console under the guages?
It is a black cylinder, maybe 1" in diameter and 1" long. It has a bulb socket that is not used in the camaro application, and several wires, one of which is the yellow one.

Any chance you can post some pics?
I'm having a hard time visualizing your description of the wiring in the dash. The dash sockets are all twist lock, not just push in, and if the bulb isn't touching the pcb, what is lighting it up? The yellow wire should be on the dash carrier connector, not directly on the pcb.

here's a pic of a 69 low fuel module, guages are different than your, module and wire colors are same.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69GasGuageLowFuel.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	905  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I did not remove the console gauge cover to look behind it. This yellow lead wire is comming out of the harness in the same location as rest of the wires do before they connect into the rectangular black conector plug that plugs into the PCB above the speedometer. Midway down the wire there is a factory black male and female connector then, the yellow wire leads to a black push in style socket.

David
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 09:20 PM
Grant

I have exactly the same problem. I originally had the black peanut bulb and the low fuel light didn't work at all. I bought a socket with the yellow cable off ebay, and now the light stays on all the time.

I believe that the yellow lead and socket is correct - there's just something wrong somewhere else. I'll keep you posted if I figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode