console gauge wiring and ignition problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Unhappy console gauge wiring and ignition problem

Hi! 1st time user. Great website! I have a '69 RS and having problems with my console gauges and now my ignition. I changed out my defective console gauges (black faced gauges - came off Novas I believe) to the silver ones (purchased the gauge cluster from Matt's Classic). The wire gauge harness that went to the gauges had a 6 position connector with 5 wires to it. I replaced the existing gauge cluster and it seemed to work, but wasn't sure it was accurate. The only problem was the lamps would'nt twist into position - the sockets (2 wire) were too small for the opening where it was to be mounted and I wasn't able to turn my engine off. I turned the key off and nothing happened the car stayed running. Can anyone tell me the gauge harness I have now (6 position connector) is for Camaros with non-console gauge installed on them originally? I did buy a gauge harness from Classics, but it had a 12 pin connector on it, but didn't use it. Can anyone point me in the right direction. My email address is [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: console gauge wiring and ignition problem

Here is a 68-69 Camaro auto trans non guage console connector. It has 12 pins, like the harness you bought. Sounds like you have some "old work" to straighten out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Hi! On my new (unused) 12pin connector harness, I have all pins wired where your picture has 7 pins wired. Do you know where the wire goes to and where is this connector located? I just bought my car recently and on my car now I have a 6 pin connector instead of the 12pin going to my console gauges. Thanks for the picture.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 07:11 PM
Retired
Jim

This should help you out

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 07:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69rszee
Hi! On my new (unused) 12pin connector harness, I have all pins wired where your picture has 7 pins wired. Do you know where the wire goes to and where is this connector located? I just bought my car recently and on my car now I have a 6 pin connector instead of the 12pin going to my console gauges. Thanks for the picture.
The pic I posted was a non-guage harness. As per the diagram that click posted, the guage harness with auto trans does use all the terminal, same connector tho.

It should be either in the console or stuffed up under the dash, but I fear whoever put the nova guages in may have chopped the original wiring. Since you are dealing with what was originally a non guage car, who knows what's up under the dash.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

I'm not sure if my '69 was a non gauge car. Do I need the 12 pin harness no matter what? If I do, I will use the diagram above. I will to look for the connector under my dash. Does anyone know after replacing my gauges why my car stayed running eventhough I turned my key off? Or is it just coincidence that my ignition switch gone bad? Thanks for the replies.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 06, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The car not shutting off is telling you that the "ignition circuit" is remaining energized with the key off. You're gonna need to do some tests with a voltmeter to find out why.

One of the most infamous causes is an MSD ignition box, which, since it wires directly to the battery, can backfeed the ignition circuit under some conditions. msd sells a diode kit to correct it.

Could also be something related to the guage wiring that is crossing the "ign" circuit and the "bat" circuit. Bat circuit wires are orange. Not sure on "ign" except the punk wire for the backup lights is part of the "ign" circuit and is in the console.

Camaros always used that 12 pin harness plug I pictured. If your guages have a 6 pin plug, and something to hitch it to, someone's been messing around, and it's gonna be real hard for me to tell from here exactly how.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 06, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

I will look into my console wiring. I would like to install the 12 pin connector harness assy. the way it should be. Thanks again for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode