Fule gauge help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 06, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Fule gauge help

I'm not great with the electrical side of things so I'm asking for help in checking my work.. I'm trying to solve a fuel gauge problem (68, console) .

Problem--fuel gauge sits at full plus.

steps I've taken:

1. disconnected the line from the sender in the trunk and found:

a. when the line to the gauge is grounded the gauge reads empty--conclusion: guage and line to gauge are ok.
b. connecting an ohm meter to the sender line and find 20 K -- conclusion: sender ok since the tank is under half full and 45 K should be half.
c. make sure that the sender line and the gauge line are making a good connection--then connect them up--gauge sits at full plus.

Overall Conclusion: the ground to the sender is broken at some point?

Am I right to think this or have I missed anything? Is there any good way to deal with a broken ground without dropping the tank?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 06, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
Re: Fule gauge help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoma10
b. connecting an ohm meter to the sender line and find 20 K -- conclusion: sender ok since the tank is under half full and 45 K should be half.
c. make sure that the sender line and the gauge line are making a good connection--then connect them up--gauge sits at full plus.
Sender is NOT ok. GM sending units are 0-90 ohms. You are getting a reading of 20k, which is 20,000 ohms. The reason why it is still at full plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoma10
Overall Conclusion: the ground to the sender is broken at some point?
I would look at the ground wire first, where it connects to the frame. Make sure it is clean, tight and connected to bare metal. Use a star washer too, it digs into metal to make a better connection.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 06:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

New or original gage? I had the same problem changed the gage and problem went away.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 06, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The gagues are original (but maybe not to the car). Some of the wiring suggests that the console was added later.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode