no power to the starter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kurt

no power to the starter

Just finished off the plug wires on the new motor and purchased a battery to check the wiring and lights before initial startup. Hooked up battery and when I turn the key to start nothing happens. I have Headlights, W/S wipers, power to cigarette lighter, and console gauges. I have power at the purple wire coming from the column and out the other side of the plug, but I have no power to the purple wire at the starter. I unplugged the nuetural saftey and I have no power there either. It also appears that I have no power to the dash lights (no power to heater or heater control light) or interior lights. all the fuses have power on both sides except for the small 3 AMP fuse. I have an MSD 7A which is wired according to instructions, and a mini starter that only uses the purple wire. Any guesses???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech

Re: no power to the starter

You might have a bad connection at the bulkhead connector pins at the fuse box. Did you replace any of the harnesses.......engine or under dash harness? Also.....did you have the key to the "On" position when you checked for power at the Neutral safety switch? I know you said there is power at the purple wire from the column, but at what point does it quit? Check for an "open" on the purple wire to the N/S switch.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kurt

OK, thanks to this forum I figured the starter problem out. It was the ignition switch on the steering column that needed adjustment. The car I'm working on is a 69 camaro, 4 speed with gauge console. I still don't have any interior, or gauge lights though. Also, this car was pieced together from a bunch of cars, I think this column was from a console shift auto car (69 camaro) There apears to be another switch located on the column that I would guess was a safety switch of somekind. It has a single green wire and a double pink wire coming from it and depending on where the colum collor (transmission rod activated) is the green wire becomes hot. Do I need this?? Also, what is the 3 amp fuse? I have no power to that fuse.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 02:16 PM
Kevin

Kurt, the switch on the column is the park (AT) or reverse lockout. For 4 speed cars, the reverse lockout linkage allows the car to start when it is in reverse. Also there is a switch on the clutch pedal that make you have to depress the clutch when cranking.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kurt

Kev, that's what I thought it might be. The only time that the wires for the NS are hot is when the key is in the crank position. Anyway now I have dash lights, and the indicater bulbs work, but I still have no power to the dome lamp or the heater fan or the light for the heater switch, also I havre no turn signal indicators, but I don't have the rear harness hooked up and I don't have bulbs in the lamps yet, so that might be a problem. Oh, no console lights either. I guess the short 3 amp fuse has something to do with the high beams, because the only time it has power is when the high beams are on.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 06, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

Kurt, That 3 amp fuse is for your dash lights. The courtesy lights, lighter and dome light operate off of a 20 amp fuse. Check for a loose connector for the console lights or maybe a bad ground wire.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 06, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave
Kurt, That 3 amp fuse is for your dash lights. The courtesy lights, lighter and dome light operate off of a 20 amp fuse. Check for a loose connector for the console lights or maybe a bad ground wire.
that might be a loose connector. that happened to me before.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 06, 07:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Kurt, that second switch on the column, trans activated, is for your backup lights.

The 3 amp fuse for the guage lights recieves it's power from the headlight switch, and should have power with the headlight switch at 1 click (parking lights) or 2 clicks (headlights) it should have power regardless of if the high beams are on or not.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kurt

Almost there. I have everything except dome light and heater fan. Also blinkers work, but when I turn on the headlights the right turn signal arrow lights up and stays on and I can't activate the right turn signal; I can activate the left though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode