Electric fan how big fuse and switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 06, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Electric fan how big fuse and switch?

I got my taurus fan in and have a dc control fk35. I am wanting to run my 12v direct from the battery. Can I use an in line 30amp fuse near the battery and then run a 30amp toggle switch to supply power to the fk35?

1968 454 TH350 Red with Black vinyl top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 06, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: Electric fan how big fuse and switch?

You could, but a relay would be a better way to go. It probably draws about 15/20 amps. See this post: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80771
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 06, 04:26 PM

Why are you installing a switch to the controller?

I'd say 30 A should be fine, since you won't have to deal with much inrush current.

Any time you are running a switch for a high current application it is a very good idea to use a relay. Especially if the switch is inside the vehicle. It is a matter of fire safety.

If you want to be able to turn the fan on or off manually I'd wire into the temp. sender side instead. This way you are only dealing with the low power circuit.

Here's a guy who does a not of work with those controllers and should be able to answer any of your questions: gmachinz (I tried linking to his profile, guess it didn't work.)
Anyway, he's a member here and on at least one other forum I'm on. Very helpful. He's got a business working with these and now an eBay store, but don't let that bother you. He's not scum just trying to make money off us.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 01:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Absolutely run your manual fan switch through a relay. You do not want 20 amps going through a switch. You want to control the 12v signal to the relay. Go to BeCool site and download there installation directions. They show you how to do it. If you can't find it, email me and I can send it to you. I have it installed in my car and it works great. My fans pull 20 amps each and are fused seperately to the battery junction block. I believe they have a 25 or 30 amp fuse. I can check if you need the info.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

The only reason I wanted a switch was so the fan doesn't stay on after I shut the car down. I don't want the fan to run for 15min and drain on my battery. I'll use a relay and switch.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 06:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you can wire the relay so the fan won't run when you shut the engine down.

Just use "ignition" switched power for the power to the relay coil (Still use battery power for the load power source.). No switch needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Thats what I'll do no switch but a relay with an ign or acc hook up. Where can I get a relay?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmking26
Thats what I'll do no switch but a relay with an ign or acc hook up. Where can I get a relay?
If you're using the FK35 fan control, you don't need any relays. If you want the fan to shut off when you turn the ignition off, just hook the yellow wire to a switched source, like the ACC tab on your fusebox. You'll want to put a fusible link in the battery lead.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Yup I'm using fk35. Sounds good just hook yellow up to acc or ign and use fusible link at battery. Good to know THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode