autometer electric speedo problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

autometer electric speedo problem

hello all! I installed an autometer electric in dash programmable speedo in a 68 hit the key and all seemed well. The speedo powered up properlyand the odometer read correctly. Since I completely rewired the car (amer. autowire classic update series) I was still in the testing phase. I then removed the front engine and light harnesses to wrap and tidy them up a bit, then reinstalled everything. Now everything works, except the speedo. It powers up (backlight in the odometer display turns on,but no digits are displayed) but the needle went to half scale (as it should ) and stayed there. There are only three connection 12v, ground, and signal from the speed sensor on the trans. I checked the wiring for any problems. I thought I may have accidentally put 12v to the signal connection, but found nothing wrong. The speedo is obviously getting 12v and ground since it powers up. unfortunately the speedo was bought a while ago (approx 1.5 yrs) and the warranty is out. Autometer says I'd have to send it in for evaluation and didn't offer any guess as to why it worked fine one day and not the next. Anyone having any similar problems or have any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 01:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: autometer electric speedo problem

If you haven't gone through the calibration process yet, I'd try that before deciding the speedometer is bad.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

that's part of the problem. The calibration/ odometer reset button has no effect whatsoever. When powered up the needle should move to half scale then back down to zero. Right now nothing happens other than the back light for the odometer lighting up.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Lorne

Hi, just did this with a Stewart Warner electronic speedo. Read the calibration instructions on the Autometer site. On the SW you need to measure a mile with a known accurate speedo or use highway markers if available then hit the calibration button twice drive the mile then hit the button again to calibrate the speedo. You can not do a calibration without a similar process because the speedo needs to have a measurement for calculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode