Problem after installing American Autowire Harnes - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Angry Problem after installing American Autowire Harnes

Hello,

I have a 68 big block that I'm trying to get back on the road. After electrical frustrations last year, I decided to replace the hacked wiring (35+ years of meddling) harness. I chose the American Autowire Complete wiring harness for the 1st gen Camaro.

Here is my problem: I have a MSD 6200 electronic ignition.

Scenario #1: I hooked up the Red wire to the battery (Along with the main red MSD wire), purple to the starter & pink ignition wire to the MSD red wire.
Result - Started worked with key, the car would fire, but stop when I went from start to run on the key.

Scenario #2: I connected the orange wire from the starter to the MSD red wire & ing wire.
Result - The car started & ran, BUT WITH THE STARTER ENGAGED THE WHOLE TIME. Turning the key off did not kill the engine. I had to pull the Positive Terminal off the battery.

After searching the forum, I found that the ignition wire didn't supply power on the "start" position of the switch. That was why the orange wire was needed from the starter - to supply power to the coil until the ign switch was moved to run. Mine seemed to get power on start, but not run?

What am I missing? The wiring harness kit came with a new ignition switch. Could something be wired wrong with the kit?

Thanks in advance for help - These forums are a life saver!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Problem after installing American Autowire Harnes

Did you replace the resistor wire with a regular 20 gauge wire? You need to have power both to the coil and the starter. When the key is in the run position, the power is supplied to the coil through the resistor wire or a 20 gauge wire to the positive side of the coil.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68427

Here is my problem: I have a MSD 6200 electronic ignition.

Scenario #1: I hooked up the Red wire to the battery (Along with the main red MSD wire), purple to the starter & pink ignition wire to the MSD red wire.
Result - Started worked with key, the car would fire, but stop when I went from start to run on the key.
MSD6A? Do you have power on the small red with the key in run position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68427
Scenario #2: I connected the orange wire from the starter to the MSD red wire & ing wire.
Result - The car started & ran, BUT WITH THE STARTER ENGAGED THE WHOLE TIME. Turning the key off did not kill the engine. I had to pull the Positive Terminal off the battery.
What kind of starter? How many terminals on starter? With a original starter there were 3 terminals, BAT terminal where battery positive cable connected to, "S" terminal where pruple wire connected to (power here from ignition switch causes starter to crank) and the "R" terminal, which is only hot when the starter is cranking (it was meant to send power to ignition during cranking)
later model starters and mini starters don't have the "R" terminal. If you wired the "S" terminal to the MSD small red and ign wire, the starter would stay engaged with the in the run position (although it should have stopped with the key) Check to see if small red has power with key in run position.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

I don't think I need the resistor as I'm using an MSD ignition - In Fact I'm starting to think I dont need the orange wire at all. The part that is strange is that without the orange wire it wired while cranking it fires, not in run.

It is a stock replacement starter with the three terminals. The R terminal is where my orange cable is comming from.

I will check and see when power is being supplied to the small red cable tonight (start, run, etc.).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Well, here's the update. Power at the pink lead on start position only, NO POWER AT RUN. I will have to call american autowire tomorrow.

Still can't explain the starter running with the engine with the orange wire in play.... Maybe it's hooked in with the purple on the starter (Haven't had a chance to look yet)

I jumped the small msd red lead to the batter. The car starts & runs fine. It's great to here the big block rumble again (although I may not wake up tomorrow after running it in my closed-up barn) - It's been out of commssion since last October.

I still have a bunch of wiring to finish, carpets to install, etc. But I am that much closer to being on the road! No if it will only stop raining in CT. This is getting ridiculous!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thumbs up Final update:

Got a new ignition switch from american autowire. Still power, only when cranking on the pink ing wire.

When I disasembled the fuse box I found the problem. The ing terminal missed it's socket & bent over to the starter wire. I basically had two starter wires.

All is well now - I'll post pictures when all of the wiring is done.

Thanks for the input.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode