1969 Gen light ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 06, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

1969 Gen light ??

Do all 69 camaros have a gen light on the dash?

Most recent 01/01/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 03:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: 1969 Gen light ??

yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Well I have a problem then. I have 2 factory 4sp w/ gauges main harness' and both dont have a Gen light. No cut wires on one and the other is o.k. condition. Messed up thing is I connected the alt to the gen light wire!! Im confussed any help would be great. My alt is not charging. Thanks Brad

Most recent 01/01/10

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 07:17 PM
Gold Member
Todd

Brad;
All original console 69's have no gen light, the console gauge performs that function. Now as to why the alternator doesn't function whole nother story.
Usually check grounds to start, regulator, altenator, and the most uncommon spot is the ignition switch. Been there done that. Do a search on the Electrical and Wiring section and you'll find enough info to get started troubleshooting. Or post away at whats happening and what you've changed.

Todd

69Z

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 07:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm not 100% on 69's or console guage cars, but....

The white wire to the alternator "turns it on"
This wire passes thru the reg and out on the brown wire.
The brown wire goes to the gen light, the other side of the gen light goes to the "run" terminal on the ignition switch.

At least for 68, console guage cars do NOT have a gen light. I believe this to be true of 69's too.

but...

inside the dash harness is a length of white fabric covered resister wire which is connected in parallel with the gen light. It provides voltage to turn on the alternator if the gen light burns out, and performs this same function in console guage cars that don't have a gen light.

The console guages themselves do not connect to the charging system in any way.

Take a peek at the electrical basics sticky. The is a page on troubleshooting the external regualtor charging system, you' need a voltmeter.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Todd

Jim;
Good point should've been clearer, the concole gauge only displays charge or discharge, if functioning correctly. The gen light will light if the altenator or regulator fails. Totally different functions. Pretty sure all original 69 console cars have no gen light in the harness.
Todd

69Z

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 06, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Well I was able to track down the brown wire that supposed to go to the "gen light" on my old harness. It Turns into the brown/white wire and goes to the ignition switch. I just checked the white wire to the alt and it reads .5v with the key on position. Is this correct? I assuming the white wire is doing its job?

Most recent 01/01/10

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ok, I'll check the sticky myself...

I would expect the brown wire on the reg to be near zero volts with the enginew not running, key on or off, and to be near 12 v with the engine running and the alternator charging properly.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Sorry JimM I did check the stickey just wasnt sure on the internal reg. alts. I ran the bypas version that I found on here. Brown to blue then blue to the alt 1? Thats the way I have it now. Going to bench test the alt, let you know what I find.

Most recent 01/01/10

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

YA Alt was bad. Picked up a new one today all is good. Just wanted to thank JimM and Undeez and the rest of the guys for getting the novice through his first wiring job. It seems that I've got it all mocked up and working. Just need to solder a few things and start tucking the wires away. Theres no way on Gods great earth I could of completed the wiring without the help of this forum. Thanks Brad

Most recent 01/01/10

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Glad to help

Greg U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode