Bad voltage regulator??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67
Bad voltage regulator???

I have been having a couple of electrical demons that might be blamed on a bad voltage regulator. The problem is I have replaced the old one when the new motor went in. I have added an aftermarket volt meter which is showing volts running at 14 sometimes and at other times the meter is pegged at 18+. I notice that when I am running high volts when I drop the RPMs the volts come back down but as soon as I get into the gas again they go back up.

I am also wondering about the voltage regulator install. I thought the regulator mounts to the radiator support directly to be grounded. I sanded the paint off to make sure I have a good connection. However I have seen some comments about rubber insulated screws (which my old regulator had). What is the correct install?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1967 Convertible SS 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 07:27 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: Bad voltage regulator???

Hop up to the Sticky at the top called "what is it, where is it" and click thru on the pics for the discussion. Im pretty sure the 67 and 68 had well nuts and then grounded with seperate ground wire to the rad support while the 69 bolted direct to the support for its grounds. The pics and discussion there can confirm this for you. Sounds like you need a new wells vr715 electronic regulator, less than $15

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Click is absolutely correct.

Those symptoms indicate a flacky ground on the regulator.

I had this exact problem once, it turned out there was so much new paint that the entire radiator support was not grounded!!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 07:34 AM
Retired
Jim

Hey Jim can you edit that 'What is it' and insert wells vr715 somewhere as a recommended replacement, so I can remember that darn part number?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 07:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

maybe someday, I'm shot today... had to run to Eagle River, WI yesterday, left at noon, 5.5 hours there, 2 hours on site, home by 1 am.... dragging hard.

Good idea though. Are you sure that number isn't in the "troubleshooting the external reg charging system" article?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 08:00 AM
Retired
Jim

Ahhh there it is, but since I didnt think to go there I missed it. Next time you are in editing mood, it would be good in the text next to the photo of the regulator too. That was a long day you had. If you go near Stevens Point someday, let me know.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67

I apologize for my ignorance but I don't know what a sticky is. Can you please tell me where this sticky called "what is it, where is it" is located at?

Thanks

1967 Convertible SS 350

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 04:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Mods can "stick" threads, so they stay permanently at the top of the forum.
If you go to electrical, you will see that the top 2 threads are sticky's, https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70537 is a pictoral, and will eventually contain photo's of every electrical componant in all three years. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71062 contains a series of tech articles, written by me and others. Some provide an understanding of what electricity is and how it works, others provide troubleshooting info for various standard circuits on our cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode