console temp guage wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

console temp guage wiring

please help identify where the wires go: i have a '68 camaro that i have added all center console guages to and wired and they all work except the temp guage. i have an oer temp guage and tried wiring the following:
1. grounded the bottom stud with all other guages
2. 12V keyed power to the right stud (looking from the back)
3. sending wire to the left stud
new oer guage, new temp unit in the block, verified power, verified power at the sending unit in the block, still wont work. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 09:14 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: console temp guage wiring

Maybe this helps you track things?

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

console temp guage wiring

please help identify where the wires go: i have a '68 camaro that i have added all center console guages to and wired and they all work except the temp guage. i have an oer temp guage and tried wiring the following:
1. grounded the bottom stud with all other guages
2. 12V keyed power to the right stud (looking from the back)
3. sending wire to the left stud
new oer guage, new temp unit in the block, verified power, verified power at the sending unit in the block, still wont work. thanks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

it just happens that 2 nights ago, I put a bunch of pics on the 68-69 guages page in the "what it is, Where it is" sticky. 'Fraid I didn't get fancy yet and right up what everything is, but whut you need should be here: https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...ole_guages.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

seems you double posted, i merged them since both had replies.
btw, the pics are click's car

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

jim, thanks for the pictures, but my car never had the center guages, i am trying to wire from scratch. i cant identify the temp guage in the picture and i dont know how to read the drawing. can someone just tell me what wires i need to run and where to hook them up on the guage and in the car? thanks david
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:42 AM
Retired
Jim

david, the temp guage in the photo of wiring above is marked "temp guage" Im sure you can see that. Then follow the wires to the connector, they are marked in color code abbreviation. Im not sure how else to help you. The temp guage wire goes to the temp sending unit in the block. The link JimM gave you shows the back of the guages in my car and where the wires connect. What else are you missing ?

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

i dont have a connector on my car. i understand one wire goes to the car block sensor, but which of the 4 studs on the back of the temp guage does it connect? which of the 4 studs does the 12V keyed power connect? of the two studs that will be left does anything connect to them, maybe a ground. that is what i need to know. thanks david
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

FLJets, if you send me an email, or make your email public so I can send you one, I will email you the instruction shhet that comes with the console guage conversion harness, but...

It sounds like you are trying to hack this into your car and lack (please no offense intended) the knowledge to do so.

If this is the case, I HIGHLY recommend you spend a few more dollars to purchase a repro "console with guages" harness, and "console gauge conversion" harness. These will cost you less than $150, and include everything you need to make this work, along with instructions on how to hook it up.

Remember, most of the on the road problems we have with our old cars are electrical, this is not a place to scimp, it could leave you stranded, or even burn up your car.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
FLJets, if you send me an email, or make your email public so I can send you one, I will email you the instruction shhet that comes with the console guage conversion harness, but...
JimM, will you please email me a copy of this wiring diagram? [email protected]

Thanks!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 06, 05:39 AM

Hi Jim - I looked over these pictures and it looks as if you've got the black wire from the harness connected to the stud on the fuel guage. Is this correct? I've got mine hooked to the bracket - i thought this was a ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode