tic toc tac - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking tic toc tac

i recently removed my gas gauge and added console gauges. i installed a tic tock tac with new circuit board in back of gauges. all lights are now working since i corrected the ground, but tach and clock do not work. is there any additional wiring i need to do to get the tac to work, and clock to run?????????? this is a 68 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 07:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: tic toc tac

Did you replace the dash harness, or use a "guage conversion Harness" or make any other changes to the dash wiring?

The wires to run the guages do not exist in a standard 68 dash harness. This includes the "battery 12v" for the clock, as well as the tach signal wire from the coil. Easiest would be to pick up a "Guages conversion harness" which includes all he wiring changes for the tach and console guages, as well as instgructions on how to hook it all up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the reply; i looked in some of my catalogues like ricks camaro for gauge conversion harness and did not find anything. could it be called something different in the catalogues? the clock will work when engine is running but tac does not work. i wired the tac term to the coil and still get no indication. thanks again- kevin

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

installed auto meter gauges in the console and used a console harness but did not use a console gauge conversion harness that i now see on page 199 of my ricks catalogue.is that what i need item 6805 for my manuel shift
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hello
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Kevin,

I just did the same conversion and everything works perfectly without a conversion harness--you can easily do it without one. You just have to run 3 of your own wires and it is very easy to do.

Your clock is currently hooked to ignition or accessory power--that is why it works when you turn the key but not when the key is off. Hook the clock to a constant power source and it will work.

Then hook your tach to a switched (ignition or accessory) power source and to the coil. There are three posts on the back of the gauge cluster--you can see what each post connects to if you look inside the cluster from the back.

You need to hook:
1. A wire from clock to a constant power source.
2. A wire from the tach to accessory or ign power
3. A wire from the tach to coil

You do not need a new wiring harness to make it work.

Brent

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Brent,thank you very much that is a great help. did you run the wires to the term on back of tac module or splice into connector on back of gauges????
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Brent

I did not splice any wires. I ran the three wires from the back of the tach to my fuse panel--the picture below shows the wires (the blue arrows point to them).

You can look inside the back of the cluster to see what wires go to where--two will obviously go to the tach (one for the coil and one for access power) and one to the clock (constant power).

The top-most wire (the one with the masking table lable that says "blue") is the tach-to-coil wire. The other two are easy to figure out--either look inside to see where they go or just connect one to constant power and see if the clock works. If it does, that's the clock wire and the other is the tach wire.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i ran the 3 wires and everything works until i plug in the connector to the gauges. i traced out the tach lug to the connector on the circuit board,looks like the middle of the plug that has three term on it. this term has a solid ground on it killing my coil and cutting my engine. did you have this problem? i do not know if this ground is normal or if i have further problems.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 04:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The tach/clock grounds thru it's mounting screws. The 3 terminals are ignition power, bat power, and coil.

Since you're using a tach pcb with a non-tach dash harness, I'm guessing you're getting a connection you don't want.

If you search out Brentmc's post when he did his, or check the wiring diagram in the AIM, you should find it. I'm "guessing" the tan fuel sender wire in the harness is connecting to your tach in the new pcb.

Changes from non-tach to tach in the dash harness and pcb include losing the wires for "oil" "temp" and "fuel" and adding "12v bat" and "low fuel" and "Coil"

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

I didn't have that happen--everything worked fine.

I'll add that my tan fuel sender wire is NOT connected to my gauge harness--it goes to my autometer fuel gauge instead.

It may very well be the problem as JimM says.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 06:05 PM

Hi - I have the same issue you mentioned above. I added the tic toc tach and a new under dash harness. I also replaced the circuit board. I get no lights to come on and the blinker on the tach stays lit. What grounds did you correct?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Brent

Scott,

There are two grounds--you do not have them connected well enough or at all. There is one that is one at the bottom of the gauge cluster (see picture) that grounds to the steering column and one that grounds to the place where the high beam bulb is located (see assembly manual). If this is not grounded right the blinkers will come on and stay on.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 08:18 PM

thanks Brent - those are the two i've got. In fact, I used your picture to help find one of them. The other I set up for the high beams. It goes from the center screw to one of the high beam housing screws to the screw on the cluster itself. Seems odd that now the parking brake light won't come on or the instrument lights. I've got to have the ground screwed up somewhere. Does the one on the bottom have to connect to the steering column or can it just be anything metal?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Brent

Any good metal ground...mine is going to the dash...

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode