Turn signal in tach - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Turn signal in tach

I recently coverted my 69 engine compartment back to original from a 1 wire internal regulated alternator. I have a rebuilt 837 alternator and installed an Vr715 regulator. I'm running an Pertronix flamthrower dist and coil. I've noticed now when light are on, that my tach needle moves with the blinkers. It also seems that to get my alternator charging I need to really get the rpm's up (3500-4000) to get the field excited and then it seems to be fine. My grounds check fine with a DVM and when charging it's about 13.9V. It's a OER tach thats been in the car for about 5yrs and worked good unitil the changeover.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Turn signal in tach

there could be a problem relating to the white wire from the alternator to the reg, then out the brown wire to the gen light / resister wire to the ignition switch.

You might do some of the voltage checks in the ext reg alternator article in the electrical basics sticky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Thanks Jim, I couple more notes. The engine and front wire harness are brand new. Are you talking about the resistance wire going to the coil? The resistor wire is out of the loop with the electronic dist. Connected to fuse panel now (switched) I am using the yellow wire still on the coil.

Dennis

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

no, I'm talking about the gen light.
Does it work?
You shouldn't have to rev the motor way up to get the charging system to kick in.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I just tried car and the gen light is not coming on now with key in on position. It used to. Could it be the difference in the VR715 reg and the stock AC Delco? It could be a lamp. I'll check that too.

Dennis
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

No, the vr715 will work the gen light fine, but the gen light not working is a BIG clue to your problem.

Earlier, I'd asked you to go here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77994 and do some voltage checks and post the results.

There was a discusion in another post today regarding how "lucky" we are when a problem gets fixed. This was my response then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
Don't know that it's luck tho. There are a great many people here with lots of knowledge, experience, and willingness to help out.

I'd have to say that as long as the poster tries the things suggested, follows up, and provides requested info, nearly every problem brought to this board gets fixed.

Luck has nothing to do with it, lol...
and it's my response now...

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Jim, just completed your checks. Key off = all ok. Key on = no difference. No volt on alt blue or 4th term of reg. Engine running = no difference till I goosed throttle, then all came on and read fine. What do you think?

Dennis
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I think you for sure need to find out why the gen light doesn't work.

One side of the gen light is supplied power from the ignition switch. The other side is the brown wire going into the reg bottom terminal. There is supposed to be a short length of fabric covered resister wire in the harness in parallel with the gen light (or in the case of a guage car, instead of the gen light)

The system needs 12v on the brown wire to start charging.

Once the system is charging, the reg puts 12v on the brown wire if the alternator is charging and that's why the gen light turns off (12v on each side = 0 volts, no light).

Time to go under the dash. I have a good diagram I'll send it to you if your email is public.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

email sent

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Jim, sorry this is a console gauge car. I just checked and there is no gen light or socket. Should it be there for this car and someone has removed it.

Dennis
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

console guage cars do not have a gen light. They do still have a power source to the brown wire, from the ignition switch thru a short piece of resister wire.

The system MUST have power on the brown wire with the key on and the engine not running.

Check the diagram I just emailed. I suspect you could have a bad ignition switch, or a bad connection or missing wire in your new harness. The brown wire with the white dashes in it is the one you need to chase.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Thankyou very much for the diagram. It makes things alot clearer.

Dennis
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Well found the problem with the brown wire voltage, its burned to a crisp from the ignition switch terminal into the wire harness. It looks like it been like that for awhile. Maybe a bad regulator at one time? Maybe thats why it had an 1 wire internal alt on the car when I bought it. Of coarse this is the only harness I didn't replace since the interior was pretty much done.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode