Battery Fuse Amperage - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Battery Fuse Amperage

HI All, adding an inline fuse at my battery (That has been relocated to the trunk). Just wondering about amperage. I have a 68 No Heater or AC/ Electric Fan and fuel pump/100 amp alternator. Other than lights no other major draws like a big stereo or anything.

Had 2 questions:

1) Is there a problem with adding a "large" fuse at the battery? (The rest of the car is fused correctly). My battery is in the trunk and I don't like having a 15 foot run of un-fused battery cable.

2) I have a 175 amp fuse and a 225 amp fuse?? Which one would you reccomend? Seems like the 175 would work but from what I understand the starter pulls alot of amperage on startup.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Battery Fuse Amperage

starters can pull up to 500 amps on a bad day, so either of the fuses you have could blow without there even being a short
if you look at any car, the factory will never put a fuse in the line going to the starter

i installed a switch back one the battery so if something happens i hopefully can jump out and cut the power...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech

Also fuses create resistance although a low resistance at that. The trouble is that it only takes a few hundreths of an ohm to cause your starter not to crank.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 02:47 PM

What about installing a remote start solenoid, such as MAD's kit: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml. Obviously you can do it yourself without the kit too. This way you only have power through the thick battery cable while cranking. The main power wire from the alternator should have a fusable link.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

When I put fuses on the main battery feed to the starter I've used 300A ANL styles. I also use the ANL holder and leave one of the wires a tad long by the fuse holder so that if the fuse does blow from trying to crank it and you are out in the middle of nowhere you can take the one terminal off of the one stud and put it on the other stud to allow the engine to crank and then once home you can get a new fuse and put it back the way it was. On some of the race cars I've done I sometimes wire tie a spare to the power cable to where if it needs replacing another is handy and close by (no one has to go digging around for a spare).

Here's the parts I use:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...49730488lzaqIa

The fuse holder accepts ring terminals on it and ideally solder those ends to the cabling you have run in your car and also any other connections onto the wiring. Also don't forget to have a good solid ground from the battery to the engine and from the battery to the body. You can have the biggest power wire feeding the starter but if the return path (ground) is insuffecient or improperly terminated and connected this can cause all sorts of problems.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode