Custom Autosound USA 6...... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Custom Autosound USA 6......

I don't know what other people think about these radios but I'm not impressed. I already sent it in for repair work, left channels are weaker than right side. The sound isn't all that great either, and the buttons kinda feel cheesy. Now after getting the left channels "fixed" they are quieter again after only two weeks. I wish I had spent my $230 on something better. Sorry about my complaining but I think I got ripped.

1968 454 TH350 Red with Black vinyl top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: Custom Autosound USA 6......

My dad went through the same thing. He is dissatisfied with his Custom Autosound radio. It ended up being faulty from the factory, and even after it was repaired it still doesn't work very well.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech

I just bought a Custom Auto USA 6 radio a few weeks back. I haven't had the chance to install it yet. The On-off button does feel a little loose when you go to operate it. Supposedly the Custom Auto USA 6 radio is one of the better radios. It has extra RCA and serial ports for DVD, iPod, etc. They are suppose to check the radios before they ship them out. There is a check list of all the tests performed on the radio before shipping (hopefully, who knows?). They do ask you to bench test the radio before you install it though, just in case it was damaged during shipping. I would think that if the radio was damaged during shipping, you would see some kind of evidence on the box itself. They are packed pretty well in the box. Maybe others could chime in on if they had any problems as well. Hopefully not.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Yeah mine was not damaged during shipping, and whatever is wrong with it apparently they can't fix it right. The only thing positive I can say about this radio is it has 2 rca pre outs and it fits the dash without cutting. I'm more pissed on how much I spent on it and not to mention having to keep sending it back for repairs and paying shipping. I'm sure after my warranty is up I'll really get screwed.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Custom Autosound USA 6......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmking26
Yeah mine was not damaged during shipping, and whatever is wrong with it apparently they can't fix it right. The only thing positive I can say about this radio is it has 2 rca pre outs and it fits the dash without cutting. I'm more pissed on how much I spent on it and not to mention having to keep sending it back for repairs and paying shipping. I'm sure after my warranty is up I'll really get screwed.
There are still several aftermarket radios that have the adjustable shafts and RCA preouts, I bought the Sanyo unit and I've very happy with it!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

What is the model# of your Sanyo? Does it have rca preouts? Maybe I'll just buy a new one.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Custom Autosound USA 6......

Sanyo model MAR-B1021......yes, it has the RCA pre-outs, that's the only way I would use it. The only "issue" I have with this unit is no separate bass/treble controls, but it's really a non-issue for me. I run it through a passive EQ with sub controls, so sound "configuration" is still at my fingertips! Available at most electronic outlets on the web for about 75 bucks, I picked up my last two on eBay for about 70.........KZ Here it is right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sanyo-MAR-B1021-...QQcmdZViewItem
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 08:36 PM

I also bought the USA 6. Very poor quality tinny sound and it had to go back to repair a loose ground wire. I'm going to pitch it and kiss the $230 good-by and I would definately NOT recommed these radios to anyone.

I'm going to get an original radio for my 68 and put it in for looks only. Then I'm installing a high quality radio in the glove compartment as the working radio.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech

Does anyone have anything good to say about the USA 6 radios??? Lol

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

2 shaft stereos have not been made since the late 80's early 90's.
The kenweed and pioneer radios they use are 10+ years old and have been repaired more than once already.
Sanyo still lists a 2 shaft, its as lowend at possible, tone control 5watts of power etc.
The Pyramid 2 shafts are of even less quality.

It really is time to junk the 2 shaft.
A new dash piece needs to be created to bolt in place of the stock dash piece to install a modern DIN CD stereo.
It would solve the delima of the don't butcher the dash crowd, and give a custom/OE appearence.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhott71
2 shaft stereos have not been made since the late 80's early 90's.
The kenweed and pioneer radios they use are 10+ years old and have been repaired more than once already.
Sanyo still lists a 2 shaft, its as lowend at possible, tone control 5watts of power etc.
The Pyramid 2 shafts are of even less quality.

It really is time to junk the 2 shaft.
A new dash piece needs to be created to bolt in place of the stock dash piece to install a modern DIN CD stereo.
It would solve the delima of the don't butcher the dash crowd, and give a custom/OE appearence.
How do you create a dash "piece" that opens up the factory radio mounting position, without butchering the dash to do it? It's like fitting a square peg in a round hole. The real solution is for somebody, other than Custom Audiosound, to put high end components into a shaft design radio. There are places that are doing this with original AM/FM type factory radios, so it can't be all that difficult. Also, I agree the Sanyo unit is "lowend", as far as functionality is concerned, but like I said, I'm just using it for the signal out. The RCA signal output is all I need, the EQ, amps, speakers and subs take care of the rest, and my system ROCKS! I've built systems with "modern" type DIN receivers also, and to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference at all, a signal is a signal is a signal, your other components are "shaping" the sound of the music.........IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode