Will a TH350/400 neutral safety switch work on a 200-4r - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 06, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Will a TH350/400 neutral safety switch work on a 200-4r

I've decided to convert my column shift PG to a console shift 2004r. I already have the trans installed and working with the column lever, but since I cannot leave well enough alone, I have decided to add the console. I will be installing the console when I get home and I would like to have all the correct parts waiting for me. I have done a few searches, but I haven't found this specific answer. I have discovered there are two different Neutral Safety/Back Up Light Switches(hereafter known as the NS/BULS) offered for a '67 auto console. One is for a PG and the other for the 350/400. I am assuming the three speed switch is the better option, but I was hoping that someone who has overdrive trans could confirm for me. I am planning on purchasing a new console wiring harness as well. Any suggestions on how to connect it to my current underdash wiring harness?

'67 convertible 210HP 327/Powerglide (not anymore!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 06, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry Cox

Re: Will a TH350/400 neutral safety switch work on a 200-4r

The type of switch you use is decided by what shifter you have. The switch mount two different ways. The PG shifter Neutral switch mount's below the lip of the shifter main housing. The 400 Neutral switch mount's using one mounting hole above the main housing and one below the lip. That is the way you can tell if what shifter you have is by the tab sticking up off of the main housing. You will need to get a converion kit for the shifter for the 200R4 and that is made by shift works. They only make one detent for both shifters. Now for the shifter, if you do not have one you will need to make sure that you get the tab for the neutral with the shifter, you will never be able to make one of those turkey. With the kit from shift works you get a lever for the 200R4, the detent, and a 4 speed indicator for the 67 console. The 67 shifter does not use a cable, but a rod and the shifter uses the same hole that a 4 or 3 speed manual transmission uses. If you do not have a hole in the tunnel you will need to get a template from someone. You will need the console wiring harness and I think that there will be a plug for you to plug it into coming off of the main harness. If not then you are looking at big buck to replace the main harness. If you know your way around wire, you could make the connection using some aftermarket connector, because you will have to jumper the connection at the base of the collum for the backup lights and the Neutral switch and if you want the light to work at the end of the console with the overhead light you will have to tie that in and the last thing is a jumper from the dash light for the shift indicator light. Maybe someone who had done the shifter from the steering collum to the console can jump end and help. My car was a console car and I did not have to jumper anything. Anyway good luck Jerry (RMCS SW USN Ret)

68 Red with Red & white interior, 383, Offenhauser Crossram, 700R4, Ocala FL
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Senior Chief,
Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll have to take a look and see which trans the shifter came with origionally. I'm going to call the guys at M&H and see if I can get both sides of the consloe harness plug and make my own adapter to join the console harness to the main harness. I rewired my engine compartment already, so I am a little familiar with the car's wiring, it shouldn't be too hard. Might as well install the new stereo I just purchased at the same time.
Semper Fi,
Gunner V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 01:20 AM
Senior Tech
Jerry Cox

GunnerV, there is a rubber boot that goes around the main part of the shifter main body that you are going to need if you do not have it with the shifter. It seals the hole up where the shifter goes thru the tunnel. Rick's sell it for the 400 shifter. I just looked at their catalog and he also sell the N/S-B/U switch actuating tab I was talking about. The main different between the two shifter is the TH-400 body is shorter for clearance for the transmission and the neutral switch stickup higher on the top part. Now the floor boot that Rick's sells is only for the TH-400. I had both shifter at one time for my 67 and some yahoo had cut the tab off of the 400 shifter which I would have liked to have used and ended up having to use the P/G once for my car which put it real close to the transmission. You may have to look around for one, but I would try and find a TH-400 shifter. Everything else is the same (handel, mounting holes, shifter rod, etc). You should only need the dash harness side of the plug if it is the orignail one, because the console harness will have one on it. You sound like you should have no trouble with the jumping part. Anymore question on this let me know and see if I can help, this is all I do anymore now that I have retired, retired. Semper FI, Senior

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Gunner, another option is to simply leave well enough alone. The neutral safety and backup will still work if you turn the base of the column. Could be thought of as an anti-theft device. You turn off the car and rotate the column to what was first gear with the column shift, and it won't start.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Thumbs up Re: Will a TH350/400 neutral safety switch work on a 200-4r

Gunner:

The shifter has the boot and some electrical. I wll post a pic before I pack it for you.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry Cox

Gunnerv, That is the Th400 shifter with everthing on it. I would check the switch and you may not have to buy one at all. Joe has it all for you, so I would not worry about the shifter and the N/S-B/U switch part. All you need is the Shift works converion kit and you are ready to go. If you need any other question answer, give me a call. Senior

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

A 400 would be a 3-speed and this shifter only has detents for a 2 speed power glide. Not doughting you but I thought they were the same and the detents seperated them? i know very little about what i am talking about here so educate us. I also included shift rods that go from the shifter to the trans. I have no idea how it has to hook up to a 200R4 though? Might need to ask shift works that question. Any one here know? George will need all the help he can get, when he gets back from Iraq I know he will be going gang busters on this project.........

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Hey JimM that is a pretty slick anti theft idea. Senior, that is some good info for the board, I didn't see anything about the different shifters in my searches. Thanks for the pics Joe, and your right, I've got about six days of wrenching before I have to pack everything up and head to Fort Worth. I've got the console to put in and I'm going to try to install a new Alpine stereo while I am at it. (I'm thinking about one of them cool wood steering wheels from Grant too...) Hey JimM, did you ever buy one of those powered sub woofers? I might as well get my seats recovered since I'll have the carpet up and I wonder if I can get one that will fit under the seat...Yikes too much combat pay, not enough time! .

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry Cox

Joe, When you look in the assem manual, they show the two shifter there (one in the regular section and the other one is in the TH400 section). I agree it is a pain to change that detents, but it has the 400 N/S-B/U switch on it now. The diffent being the TH400 switch has one mount point that screws into the maint body and the other on is on a tab off of the top of the main body, the PG mount on the lower part of the body. When you look at a PG switch it like a C with both mount hold being down and TH400 is one down on one side and other one is up on the other side (on page 471 of Classic industries catalog has a picture of both switches).When you buy the kit from shift works you have a level for the selector on the 200R4 and it hooks up to the rod that you have with the shifter. There is also direction to change the detent and align the shift point up on the shifter. Gunner is going to have to cut the hole in the tunnel and he is going to need a template to do that. I have done this on a couple of 67 and a template is a must. Good luck Senior

Last edited by Ocala67RS; Jul 14th, 06 at 04:43 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I was going to install this in my67 and looked and found very small detent/punch marks that measured out the same as the hole needed for the shifter. My 67 is LA built have you ever seen this before? Car is not near me or I would take some pictures. I hope Georges car has the same thing, it's a dead give-away for the right location. Anyone got measurements for him if he needs them or a little blue print?? Those steaks are going to be good George!!!

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I owe you big Joe! I forgot to bring my AIM to work with me tonight, but it shows two different part nos for the shifters (one PG, one TH400). Mine is not a LA car, so I hope I have the detents. If not, I remember seeing a template here on the forums (or maybe in the AIM???) As much as I hate paying big dollars for parts that I could probably make for pennies (or do without), I'm leaning towards getting the Shiftworks kit for the new indicator panel and detent. I'll be damned if I send them $12 for two plastic bushings though...

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 14, 10:41 AM
Tech Team
shannon

Do you still this I'm looking for the turbo 400 shifter if so you can call me at 770-366-2475 thank
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 14, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
shannon

Hey gunner do you know where I can get a 400 shifter like the one you show in the pictures Thanks
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 14, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

THis is an old thread You might look on ebay, I see them there all the time. YOu can also buy one that is aftermarket now and can be made to work with what ever trans you have and it looks just like the original but the base is different.

They cost about $350.00 from shift works for a new one. See the link below.

http://www.shiftworks.com/camaro-67.htm

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode