'67 OER temp gauge not showing correct temp - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

'67 OER temp gauge not showing correct temp

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but thought it would be worth a shot.

I'm trying to get the console gauges in my '67 Camaro to work again. During my subframe off restoration, I replaced all the harnesses (engine, under dash, console, etc...) I then replace the temp gauge w/an OER repro gauge and I installed a GM temp sensor in the block.

The gauge shows the temp @ cold when the car first starts but it goes all the way to hot as the car warms up. I hit the rad hose and thermostat housing w/the temp sensor in my multimeter and the car isn't overheating. Running about 200-205. The guage actually reaches the hot mark around 150 degrees.

I read that you don't need the factory resistor for the OER guages b/c it is built into the guage. I'm not running a the factory resistor. I also swapped out the temp sensor w/another one and got the same results.

I'm getting closer to having this thing work. I'm about to order a new sending unit from http://www.lectriclimited.com . Before I throw another $20 at the problem, I figured I'd ask the question.

The guy I bought the car from had the console gauges in pieces. I have two resistors but can't tell which one goes to the temp vs the gas gauge so if I have to use the reisistor, I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure out which one goes to which gauge.

Sorry for the long post.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done

Last edited by oakster; Jul 12th, 06 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: '67 OER temp guage not showing correct temp

I'm not sure on a 67 but on a 69 you are correct about not using the external resistor on the OER gauges. Where is you sending unit located? (on the head)? Are you sure you have the correct sending unit on the car. I've read about air pockets getting trapped in the cooling systems giving you weird readings like your seeing.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

My sending unit screws into the side of the block on the drivers side by the exhaust manifold.

I hope I have the right sender b/c I ordered two of them @ different times over the past couple of years. This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about using this vendor some folks were raving about on the board and on chevelles.net

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

My Understanding is that the plug on the block is for a warning light sensor only. The head temps are higher then coolant elsewhere. The sending unit should be on the intake manifold near the thermostat.

Pete '68 427
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sending unit on a small block goes in the drivers side head between the number 1 and 3 spark plugs. Both the temperature sender or the temperature switch go in the same place. At least on a 69, don't know if the 67's have the hole tapped for a sensor or not.

Gas gauge resistor is 46 ohms, temperature gauge resistor is 86 ohms.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech

Oakster
The gauge on my '68 does the EXACT same thing. I have an OER gauge, Facotry Fit wiring harness and the sender you are talking about from Lectric Limited. I've checked the temp with one of those "infared" thermometers and I'm right at about 200 max no matter where I take the temp reading from. Since I have new wiring and the correct calabrated sender, my guess is I need a new guage. I bought one, just haven't had a chance to put it in yet.
I'd try the new sender but if that doesn't work - it's got to be the guage.

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 05:09 AM
Team Member

67s are in the intake and you may have to get an old sinding unit for it to read correctley. Most after martket seem to read too high at least thats what it seems like to me. Even the newer ones from GM are that way. I take them out of old intakes and they seem to work fine
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster
The guage shows the temp @ cold when the car first starts but it goes all the way to hot as the car warms up. I hit the rad hose and thermostat housing w/the temp sensor in my multimeter and the car isn't overheating. Running about 200-205. The guage actually reaches the hot mark around 150 degrees.

I read that you don't need the factory resistor for the OER guages b/c it is built into the guage. I'm not running a the factory resistor. I also swapped out the temp sensor w/another one and got the same results.
You will probably need to add a resister to make the gauge read correctly. The gauge is out of range for the sender being used. You can always ask OER
http://www.oerparts.com/ their email address is at bottom of page.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55524
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster
The guy I bought the car from had the console guages in pieces. I have two resistors but can't tell which one goes to the temp vs the gas guage so if I have to use the reisistor, I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure out which one goes to which guage.
I might be able to find out, measure how many ohms each resister is and post back.

Greg U

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Gas gauge resistor is 46 ohms, temperature gauge resistor is 86 ohms.
MarkC, I am kind of confused (which comes easy to me!) I thought that the fuel sending unit operated 0 - 120 ohms? I am still trying to figure out my temp sending range.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I'll measure the resistors when I get home tonight. I also sent OER an e-mail regarding the issue I'm having with their gauge. I'll let you know what they have to say.

I'm also probably going to try relocating my sending unit to one of the plugs in the intake to see if that helps.

I'm actually happy that I finally got the gauge to do something. Been reading up on the site b/c the gas gauge is next.

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

Oakster
Try a different sender. It's probably the easiest way to go in terms of labor at this point. OER gaugues don't need reistors - they have them built in. If the gauge isn't working properly with the new sender, I'd say the gauge is no good. The quality of most repo stuff has alot to be desired. No reason to think the gauges would be any different.

Let me know what's OER's response is. I'd be ineterested to know what they say.

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I'm going to try a couple of things based on this e-mail

1 - Moving sending unit to intake (I have 2 GM sending units)
2 - Adding 86 ohm resistor to the gauge
3 - Using new sender from lectriclimited.com (ordered today)

I'm too close to giving up on this now. Plus it freaks me out ot be cruising around during the summer w/no temp gauge. I can deal with no gas gauge for now but it is next on my list.

Thanks for everyone's input and ideas - I'll let you know how I make out and what OER has to say.

Paul

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The resistors I qouted above, are the external resistors mounted on the back of the gauge in either the console or in the dash not the resistance of either the sender in the block or in the fuel tank. They provide the counter emf to drive the needle downscale and also affect the scale of the guage. If they weren't there then when the car heated up and the temperature gauge went up scale, it would never go back down to cold the next time you started the car. Same with the fuel guage, except it works the otherway around (drives the needle towards full).

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I tested the resistor and it was right @86 ohms. When I put it on the gauge, the guage now goes to below C but doesn't seem to come off of cold.

It is pouring up here in Mass tonight so I can't take the car out for a good ride to see it it moves when it really heats up. Looks like I'll have to play around some more and start getting readings from the sending unit too.

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech

Re: '67 OER temp gauge not showing correct temp

Oakster
Any response from OER?

Also, I've heard of some guys just pulling the needle off the guage, letting the car heat up to operating temp and putting the needle back on the gauge at about the half way point on the gauge. The gauge really just gives you an idea as to if your car is at "normal" temp anyway. So if you know where the needle is on the guage at your cars normal operating temp day and day out, you can tell if things are getting too hot if the needle starts to move past that point.

Porbably not the best solution but it might do the trick and save you lots of hassles in the long run.

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode