World's most complicate fuel system wiring... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

World's most complicate fuel system wiring...

Well, maybe not, but its starting to feel that way!

For my big Aeromotive pump, I have 12V coming from the battery. The computer feeds a "key on" signal to an aeromotive pump controller, which in turn primes the pump at key on. It also varies the pump speed based on an RPM threshold, so it has a tach input as well.

I've also added a Ford oem collision trip switch, which kills the signal to the controller in the event of a collision. I also have a relay feed by a negative kill switch from the alarm so that if the alarm is trigged, it kills the pump feed.

Lots of wiring :-)

- Dave

---------------------------
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro [MPFI Supercharged 502 Under Construction]
2007 427 Z06 Corvette
1969 Pontiac 2+2 427/390
2003 CL600 BiTurbo Renntech Stage III (635hp - [email protected]) [Sold!]
2006 Range Rover Eaton Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: World's most complicate fuel system wiring...

Sounds like you've done a goodly amount of thinking ....and wiring.

Did you make a schematic for future reference? It always helps. Memories don't get any better with age.

FWIW, I would have installed the collision switch into the pump power feed, not the controller, providing the switch can handle the current load. Controllers are electronic and can break in the 'on' mode. This way by wiring the coll sw into the pump power feed, there is a definite break in power.

Now, power goes to controller with 'key on.' What happens in the START position? Or does the ECM take car of this function? I take it this power system is for the 69 MPFI?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: World's most complicate fuel system wiring...

I'm not morally certain, but I think the Ford collision switch I am using is intended for pre-relay. At least the connectors are quite small, I wouldn't expect to run 30 amps through them.

The controller is electronic, but its solid state, so its not like a relay that would stick. You're right, though, conceivably it could somehow fail in the ON position.

The ECM handles the trigger, and as far as I know, isn't aware of the cranking state, so I assume it provides power during run and crank. Odds are even if it didn't, there'd be enough fuel pressure residiual in the system to fire the injectors during crank...

Factory setups generally prime and then wait for oil pressure, so there's always a brief second or two during cranking before oil pressure comes up, and they seem to handle that ok.

Yes, this is for MPFI on the '69.

---------------------------
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro [MPFI Supercharged 502 Under Construction]
2007 427 Z06 Corvette
1969 Pontiac 2+2 427/390
2003 CL600 BiTurbo Renntech Stage III (635hp - [email protected]) [Sold!]
2006 Range Rover Eaton Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode