seat belt warning switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Weller

seat belt warning switch

Hello! Been a while since I've been on here!

I have a problem and wonder if anyone else has been through this also. I have a 69 Impala, and while yes I am aware this is a Camaro site our cars share much of the same DNA - so someone may have a fix!

The problem. My car was equipped with the optional seat belt and door ajar warning lights. These would come on when the car was first started, and then shut off and stay off after about a minute or so. Mine recently have decided to just stay on - forever.

There is what I think is a thermal switch (GM P/N 3961500) which GM calls a "relay assembly, seat belt warning" but really it's not a relay, it's a normally closed switch made of two bi-metal strips that heat up as power runs through it...they warp from the heat to an open condition breaking the circuit and the lights go out. One bi-metal strip is wrapped in hair-thin wire that runs from an internal positive terminal to a ground, so I figure this thin sire heats up and causes the stip to bend. Hooked it up to a meter and can get no conductivity through this fine wire at all, so I assume there is a break in the wrap somewhere. All other contacts check out fine. Tested it with a 12V power source, cannot get it to heat up at all anymore.

I cannot find a replacement anywhere! I would have thought of all the cars and years that had a seat belt warning light, a 12V thermal switch like this would be easy to find...apparently not! Does anyone know where I can find such a thing - I don't care if it's an exact match so long as it functions the same. Surely the seat belt warning light was also available on Camaro, Chevelle, etc? Ideas???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Camaro...'69 Impala LM1 F40 J52 M38 C60 N33
'41 Chevy Master Deluxe Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: seat belt warning switch

That's gonna be a toughie.
Only thing I can think of is the possibility of that option being more common on some of the "higher end" car lines. Maybe look for a good caddie or buick forum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode