1987 5.0L TPI Z28 Engine problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Angry 1987 5.0L TPI Z28 Engine problem

I posted in here because I beleive it to be an electrical problem. Here are my current specs:
1987 Camaro 5.0L TPI engine rebuilt and placed in a 1991 Camaro
Junkyard engine, distributor was NOT rebuilt
Electronic advance on distributor
New spark plug wires, MSD Coil, spark plugs, and ECM.
Old wiring harness with some custom wiring

The symptoms are:
-Engine used to be able to start, but never could be timed correctly, it would sputter, and jump, and backfire, no matter where I adjusted the distributor to
-Sometimes when engine was started it idled at 2000 RPMS! happened once every 20 times I think
-average idle was 250-500RPMs
-During timing it sputtered, slowly got worse, and stalled out, tried restarting the engine and it would not spark

Could I have overloaded the ignition module with the MSD blaster coil? The coil has a 42,000 volt rating. Could the old distributor need a few new parts, like rotor and cap? maybe a rebuild with MSD or Accel parts? Could it be a mechanical problem within the engine?

EDIT: Here is a link to a video I made when I was first running the engine. It was running open headers because the exhaust is not 100% finished. This should help you guys know how the engine was running. in this it was before it was timed enough to idle, it could not idle so I had to rev it once in a while

http://musclecartuners.net/videos/imbackinblack.wmv

Last edited by Racing_Master; Jul 14th, 06 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode