Question For Those w/ Autometer Gauges!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Question For Those w/ Autometer Gauges!!!

I have Autometer Phantom Gauges mounted in the Covan's Classic Gauge Pod. My speedo isn't very accurate at all. I got a electronic sending unit for it, and it's still off. If i'm cruising at 35mph, the needle floats from 25-45mph. My brother has Autometer gauges in his Datsun, and his does it too, but not as bad. Only maybe a 5mph variation. Just wanted to see if there's anything i can do to make it read more accurate. Thanks!

My Cars:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Question For Those w/ Autometer Gauges!!!

4 speed trans? If so, did you mount the sending unit directly off the trans or through the cable?

The cable will make the electronic speedo bounce.

On some 4 speeds the shift linkage won't allow a direct connection from the trans to the sender. I just did one and the needle bounced pretty bad, even though I used a 12 inch cable.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS
4 speed trans? If so, did you mount the sending unit directly off the trans or through the cable?

The cable will make the electronic speedo bounce.

On some 4 speeds the shift linkage won't allow a direct connection from the trans to the sender. I just did one and the needle bounced pretty bad, even though I used a 12 inch cable.
It's a Muncie M20 trans. But i think the linkage is one side, and the sender is on the other. It's directly mounted on the trans.

My Cars:

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 01:23 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Mine is very accurate. Did you follow the calibration proceedure?

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville
Mine is very accurate. Did you follow the calibration proceedure?
I don't know my mechanic installed it for me. Could you explain the calibration procedure for me? Much appreciated!

My Cars:

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 02:32 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_an...x?sid=2&qid=40

I found this link over at Autometer.com

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 07:38 AM

I have the same setup in my 86 with the 700 overdrive transmission. I got rid of the cable since the sending unit attaches directly to the same spot on the transmission the cable end screwed onto.
I had problems with the speedometer needle bouncing at first. After doing some checking I found that where the sending unit screws to the transmission was loose. The O ring disentigrated. After replacing the O ring it snugged up nicely. I have not had any more problems and the needle is very steady now.
The calibration process is: Go to a place where you know you have a measured 2 mile run. I use the interstate because they have put call boxes at the mile markers. Stop before the mile marker. Shut the engine off. Hold trip button and crank engine. The needle will drop and point straight down. Drive up to where the measured mile starts. Push the trip button again. The needle will now point straight up. Drive for 2 miles at a slow rate (40-50MPH). After stopping at the end fo the 2 miles you push the trip button again. It will go to 0. You are now calibrated. Don't drive fast to do this. Your tires will heat up which increases their size and will cause a bad calibration.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawodi
The calibration process is: ...." Hold trip button and crank engine. The needle will drop and point straight down. Drive up to where the measured mile starts. Push the trip button again. The needle will now point straight up. ....

tawodi - when you do your calibration, the needle drops straight down to begin with?? When you say straight down, do you mean down less than zero, or is it wrapping all the way around more than the max speed?

The Autometer info says "The pointer will then move to full scale." I always interpreted that to mean at/or past the 160 on the scale,,,,, mine likes to go the other way and go down below zero.

Just curious which way your needle moves to begin with during the cal process??

still haven't got mine to work,, but may very well be a sending unit problem. Haven't found time to dig into it yet. Gotta be bad sender, or speedo itself,, not much to the wiring.

thanks for any info.

Blown 69 RS Camaro

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 11:49 AM

I have the carbon fiber guages.When holding trip button in while cranking and then releasing it after the engine cranks my needle drops straight down to point at the floor. 0 is at about 7:30 on the clock face with 160 at about 4:30. When pointing straight down it would be like pointing at the 6 on the clock face. It does not wrap around past 160 but drops counterclockwise from 0. Sounds like yours is operating correctly. When I push the trip button at the beginning of the measured 2 miles it goes straight up and points at 80MPH. It stays there until you stop and push the button again. As far as sending units go... It sounds like there is a burr or something causing yours to catch which will cause needle on speedo to bounce. My unit screws onto the transmission and has a short (3 inches or so long) cable. The piece that I got with the unit was a little small and we replaced it with a solid piece square of metal (old screwdriver shaft) that fit the square hole better. If the cable piece is too small it could be slipping and not turning the sending unit as it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode