How much for complete wire job? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

How much for complete wire job?

I have a 67 Camaro that is currently just about ready for wiring after a frame off. I bought a universal complete harness because the stereo,MSD box etc will be added. How much is a fair cost for labor to start from scratch and wire the entire car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: How much for complete wire job?

30 to 40 hours worth of work, times your local labor rate.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

I would be willing to spend 1000-1200.00. I am not sure of the local rates but I am hoping it will be enough.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 11:38 PM
Senior Tech

where are you located? i could be pursuaded to take the job...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 01:27 AM
Senior Tech
Lorne

I paid $1000 to have a Painless 18 circuit wiring kit installed with a few extra things like stereo amps, power seats etc. $30 per hour for semi retired tech with much experience and I think about $150 in supplies so guess it was around 27 hours. He moved kinda slow, very fussy and meticulous.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 12:41 PM
AAW

I hope this is okay to post here.... but I took the time to write a description of the options of wiring you have to choose from - and about how long it should take you to install each one. (From there, you can calculate the installation cost if you're having it installed at a shop)

I've explained simple plug-n-play harnesses to full blown complete cutom wiring jobs. I tried to depict the various options in a diagram as well.

here is the link: http://www.americanautowire.com/supp...ght_wiring.cfm

(Note to Mods: sorry if this post isn't "permissable, but I thought it might prove especially useful to this gentleman's question)

Theresa Antell

Ray Walder
Sales, American Autowire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shop our online store @

Tech Questions?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

I got a quote on my 67 for just under 1000...I think thats a pretty good range judging from all the other 1000 quotes on this thread
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Well I talked to the shop that sold me the Kwik Wire harness and they are saying about 1200 plus materials and probably more to include the stereo and amps. 45.00 an hour plus materials. Pretty pricey. I am located in Green Bay, WI. Car is in Fondulac, WI.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

italiano,
You sound like you want to outsource this part of the job...however, if you have the time, I'd urge you to do it yourself. I installed my own and it wasn't that hard.
I tore every wire out of my car and replaced it with the American Autowire Factory Fit kit. It is NOT a "universal" kit, it is specifically designed for your make/model/year. In addition to the correct leads for your instrument panel and console gauges, it includes leads for lots of aftermarket stuff (power seats, electric fuel pump, aftermarket gauges, etc.) Also, every wire is labeled every few inches with the wire's function ("Right Turn Signal", etc.) Lastly it replaces the fuse panel with modern blade-type fuses.

To be frank, it was initially a very intimidating prospect, I had never wired a car (or anything) for that matter. I bought a good wire crimper and a soldering gun. I unpacked the boxes of wires and wires and wires and was discouraged. I procrastinated the project for a while, but once I got over the initial intimidation and just started, it was MUCH MUCH simpler than I had anticipated. The instructions were fairly clear and the installation went very quickly. I didn't clock in and out, so I can't give you an accurate measurement, but I think if I added it up, I probably could have done it in 3 days. I took the time to crimp and solder every connection.
My only criticism of the kit was that while learning to make perfect crimps, I mangled a few connections...and had to go get some more at Napa. Wish they had thrown in a few more "spares" is all.
I think it was a really nice product and the install is something anyone can do themselves.
I realize you have a universal kit, but for the money you are looking to spend on installation, you could sell it and get the AAW kit and be plenty of money ahead.

Take care,
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode