If I'm gonna buy all new wiring can I cut'em out - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jamie

If I'm gonna buy all new wiring can I cut'em out

I am installing console gauges, adding the tach, and a clock where there wasn't any before. So the guys at Autowire AND M&H suggest the expensive route (replacing with new stuff, not the splice and dice solution) since my current wires look a little butchered.

I figure I'll buy all new wiring. Complete sets, about $700 to $900 worth as I add it up.

If I am planning to buy all new stuff do I really need to pay attention to what goes where? As far as taping, labeling, etc, do I need to worry about that? Doesn't the new stuff come with instructions as to what goes where and wouldn't I be throwing the old stuff away anyhow?

Thanks

1969 Coupe - Work in progress -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: If I'm gonna buy all new wiring can I cut'em out

i would say, yes, you do. You don't want your new wiring to look as bad as your old, do you?
The factory put the attachment points where they did for a reason, usually a good one. Take TONS of pics as you pull everything apart, refer to them when you put the new harness back in, and email them to me for the "what it is, where it is" sticky in electrical

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Jamie,
I used the AAW kit. The instructions are fine. You don't really need to save the old harness. During my install, I kept mine around until I was finished just incase I needed to reference it...but never did. I don't think I ever needed to cut anything out.
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 06:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

note on saving the old harness:

There have been a number of posts on people, including me, looking for terminals and connector bodies. If you don't want it, put it up for sale in the forum classifieds, someone will want it.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jamie

Thanks guys. I have been taking lots of notes and lots of pictures as I take things apart and remove/disconnect things. I will eventually get a web page going where people can pull the pics.

I could not get anywhere without you guys though. I have learned so much already. Like how to get the headlight knob to come out by pushing the button....made things easy.

I will start pulling wires out tomorrow I guess. I'll post some pics tomorrow night so ya'll can see the mess. I'll also salvage everything too in case people want it.

THANKS!

- Jamie

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 04:25 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage
Cool Re: If I'm gonna buy all new wiring can I cut'em out

I called Don at AAW on Tuesday for my '68 convertible..
He suggested the same thing, the complete kit.
He faxed me all the part numbers and their prices.
He suggested Ricks or Classic Industries for a better price..
I punched in these same numbers on Rick's website and my price went from $972. down to $824.00

I haven't cut, or thrown any wires away, just in case.
I take lots of pictures and won't throw anything away until the replacement is installed.

my 2c
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

as you guys are working on this, remember my lil project here https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70537
Someday, I hope to have pics of every electrical componant and wiring connector, routing, and attachment for all 3 years, including all options, all in one place for anyone to look up and check.

It's an unbelievably huge undertaking, and I'll take all the help I can get, up to and including expainations or complete pages.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Ghostbuster and Jumpmaster,
If you are considering the AAW kit, goto http://www.gpsuperstore.com. Then the Active GP forum. They are offering 10% off of the entire AAW line. Thats how I bought mine...and also my wheels through a Newstalgia wheels group purchase...and some other stuff. Saved me some money.
-Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's

Last edited by 67FamilyFun; Jul 20th, 06 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added some info...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jamie

Thanks for the tips. I'm always in favor of saving money, BUT I also like the tech help I get from places. Sometimes it might be worth the extra $50 here or there to get the technical know-how along with it.

The group purchase thing sounds good too. I will look in to that when the cash starts flowing...at least flowing for my little project car.

You can go here to see some pics. Electrical pics will be posted for now. I will redesign and post others as time permits.

They are bigger photos so give them a chance to load up.

Heres the link: http://www.JamieHeath.com/camaro.html

{And yes you can buy all the Colorado real estate you want from me }

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 10:50 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage
Cool Re: If I'm gonna buy all new wiring can I cut'em out

Great idea JimM - I'll be sending you lots of pics to choose from..

Thanks for the tip 67FamilyFun, I'm always looking for a discount.

I am replacing every wire and connector in my '68'vert..
I contacted AAW and Donny emailed me a qoute with part numbers.
He also said they do all AAW Tech support, no matter where you buy it from..
  • AAW = $972
  • Ricks 1st Gen = $824
  • Classic Industries = $917 - 10% = $825 (free shipping)
  • Classic Industries = $917 - 15% = $780 (free shipping) (my cost)
  • Classic Industries = $917 - 20% = $734 (free shipping)
  1. Classic gives 10% off and Free UPS shipping on orders over $500..
  2. I have a Classic Industries Credit Card which gives 15% off every purchase.
  3. Every other month, Classic emails me 20% off coupons, I'd be happy to post somewhere..

1968 Z/28 Convertible
1969 RS/SS Coupe (vinyl top & Sunroof)
2011 RS/SS Convertible

Last edited by Ghostbuster; Jul 27th, 06 at 11:05 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jamie

Question Re: If I'm gonna buy all...here is the harness

Ok guys, here is the dash harness. It looks ok to me. Most of the chopped up wires I saw were from the radio. There were only two or three wires that didn't go anywhere and one or two that were spliced.

I'll admit that a good cleaning is in order, but does it need to be replaced? And remember, I am adding the Tach and Console gauges. (Also note that the car had aftermarket tach, oil, and temp gauges so I do have wires running through the firewall or those, if that matters).

So do I need the new dash harness with console gauges harness or do I buy the splice & dice console gauges harness?

Also - I want to add some extra features to the car such as power antenna, heat elements in front seats, radio amp, and maybe a built-in radar detector. Can the fuse box handle that?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster
Thanks for the tips. I'm always in favor of saving money, BUT I also like the tech help I get from places. Sometimes it might be worth the extra $50 here or there to get the technical know-how along with it.

}
67FamilyFun, Thanks for the kind words. Jumpmaster, tech is always avaiable through our GP store. Having restored 100s of Camaros both concours original and modified, we are a lot more capable of tech then order takers at mail orders.

GhostBuster, Many get confused about the Classic Discounts. I have been a Classic Industires distributor since it was Classic Camaro, back in my days with US Camaro Club. So I am very familair with their discounts and policies. I sell a ton of their stuff. Often can discount products they will not discount.

While the harnesses may or may not be eligiable for discount, your 15% credit card is not a across the board discount. From their website

** The 15% discount may be changed or revoked without prior notice.
**The 15% credit card discount supersedes any and all discounts programs, and is not applicable on sale items, and kit items.
** The 15% discount is available for retail customers only.
**Contact Classic Industries for current information concerning discounts. 1-800-854-1280.

Also, free shipping is on orders over $1000, not $500 and are eligibable for a 10% discount. Orders of $500 are eligable for a 5% discount, no free shipping. Also there are many excluded items here also.

From their website

IMPORTANT: 5% and 10% discounts do not apply to sale items, special orders, or kit items. We recommend checking with a sales representative when placing your order for verification.

The 20% discount coupons also do not include kits and other items. Also, free shipping is not included with 20% special offers.

All this is on Classics website.

Last edited by ProdigyCustoms; Jul 29th, 06 at 06:04 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Jumpmaster, looks like you can clean it and rewrap it. I would suggest running a seperate fused buse for your add on components. You will save a lot of money if you save that harness.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 06:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Unless there are lots of hacked up wires, or severely corroded terminal, you can rebuild the harness.

The "no-stick" tape is readily avaialble from places like classic.

When I did my harnesses, I stretched em out, and measured (from the bulkhead connector) the distance to every "tie-down" and every place a wire left the wrap. Then I cleaned each individual wire and terminal, repaired any questionable wires, added any new ones I needed, and re-wrapped the whole mess just like stock per my measurememnts and drawing.

They turned out great, look and work like new, and only cost a coiuple bucks for the tape, some new wires, and some new terminals.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Ghostbuster, trying to answer your PM with pricing you requested but you PM box is full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode