Car Running....Then lost all power to Ignition! HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Car Running....Then lost all power to Ignition! HELP

Hi Everyone
To start this off, I'm a fairly experienced mechanic, but my skills with electrical systems are not as sharp as I'd like!

Anyhow, I went to load up my 69 Camaro on the car trailer today and the thing just died. It lost all power to the ignition. It wouldn't turn over, no dash lights would come on, nothing. I checked the fuse panel, and they all looked intact. I checked the battery, alternator, starter and coil wiring, along with grounds and it all looked good. The only light that would come on was the dome light.

The car is acting like a main fuse for the ignition is blown or the ignition switch is not engaging. I should mention that a couple of weeks ago I attempted to turn the car off, removed the key from the ignition and the car kept running.

What do you think the problem is? Is there a fuse or relay that would do this, or maybe it's the ignition on the steering column. Please help, the car is stranded on my car trailer, parked in my driveway. The wife is no my case already :-( .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 07:42 PM
Team Member

Re: Car Running....Then lost all power to Ignition! HELP

One place to look is the terminal block mounted to the radiator core support behind the battery. Make sure the battery pig tail is good to the terminal, it is tight and the cable to the horn relay is all in good condition.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 12:36 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabowabo

The car is acting like a main fuse for the ignition is blown or the ignition switch is not engaging. I should mention that a couple of weeks ago I attempted to turn the car off, removed the key from the ignition and the car kept running.

What do you think the problem is? Is there a fuse or relay that would do this, or maybe it's the ignition on the steering column. Please help, the car is stranded on my car trailer, parked in my driveway. The wife is no my case already :-( .
Will the headlights work or anything else? IF not you probably lost a main feed. Your original problem is most likely the IGN switch. It may have had a short nearly blowing a fusible link. See pic for locations

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As undee has shown the power distribution diagram, Thank you again, the second place i'd look after checking the junction block by the battery, is the horn relay buss bar.

Take both leads and place them onto one terminal or screw. Only after checking out the fusible link is in good shape.

Ask me how I know this.......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll check those things. To answer your question udee72Z, the headlights do not work. The thing that makes this hard also, is that the electrical system on this car is pretty rigged. Suff isn't where it's supposed to be.

Thanks a bunch for that wiring diagram, that will help me a bunch. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll fix that damn thing come hell or highwater.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

very odd to have courtesy lights and nothing else. If you look at the diagram, all the power comes into the dash on a single wire from the horn relay, where it splits (in a mechanical splice inside the harness and is delivered directly to the headlight and ignition switches. The wire you see going back to the fusebox from the splice goes to the 20 amp "CLK-CTSY-LGHTR" fuse, the only thing in the fusebox the is hot with the ignition switch off.

This is the circuit that supplies the courtesy lights, which work.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

So it is probably the ignition switch. The car is acting just like the ignition is not turning on, and being it was acting up before, it's a likely culprit. I'll check the power wire going to the ignition switch and headlights to see if they have power, which they should with the ignition in the "off" position.

If this was the problem, shouldn't my headlights work? They are on a separate circuit from the ignition. The wiring on my car is so rigged it wouldn't suprise me if the guy spliced those together too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the stock wiring provided power to the headlight switch all the time regardless of the key position

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

At lunch I worked on the car a bit. It has 12V running to a toggle switch, that looks like it's hooked to the ignition. I jiggled some wires around and fipped the toggle switch and the car had power again! Looks like it's time to put in a new engine harness!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Looked like the car didnt want to be trailered, needs to be driven. lol
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, the car does run now, but it runs like crap, backfiring and hard starting. I think I may have mixed up a couple of plug wires when I did a compression test last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode