Pulled the tranny, now no power?????????/ - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 06, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the tranny, now no power?????????/

I just pulled the tranny out my 69 camaro, and when I looked under the car I saw a broken orange wire. This wire was in harness with a yellow wire and a purple wire. The purple and yellow wires go to the starter. Would anybody have an idea where the orange wire goes??? I tried my headlights for the heck of it, and I get nothing. I also tried to see if the starter would engage, and no power. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 06, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Pulled the tranny, now no power?????????/

the orange wire goes to the heater blower motor.
Keep looking for your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 06, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thats sucks its not the orange wire. Thanks I really apperciate it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 06, 07:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

some things to check:

Did you remove the battery cable before doing the work, and if you did, did you hook it back up?

Did you make any sparks while you were under there?

Use a voltmeter to check for the voltage on the connector screws on the horn relay, should have 12 volts. If you don't, check the little wire that comes off the positive battery cable. It attaches to a small junction block behind the battery.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 06, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

No I did not unhook the battery, and I didn't get any sparks.
I went to check things out and my battery is reading 10.6 volts. The weird part is I did a resistance check from my ground wire to my hot wire on the battery. And when I turn the ign switch on I get less than 2 ohms. If I turn my headlight switch on I get the same thing. So it looks l like I got a short somewhere. With nothing on the resistance seems fine. The only other thing I did to the car was drop the gas tank to run a fuel return line. I'm a little stumped, if that one wire coming off the sending unit is shorted to ground would I only see this when try to turn something on?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you have a door open, the following, singularly & combined, could be the 2 ohms:
1. Dome light(s)
2. GEN light
3. OIL light

If the tan wire was shorted at the tank sending unit or through its route from the trunk floor to the unit, then the gauge would read empty. If the black wire was ground, gauge would work as normal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

My fuel gauge is reading empty, but the tank really is empty. I dont have the dome light hooked up. The battery volts goes down to 2-3 volts if I hook it up and turn on the lights or ign switch. There is a wire going through the trunk which I thought was the tan wire from the sending unit, I unplugged it from the connector and still get the short when I turn anything on.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

reading resistance across the battery cables (disconnected from the battery) is not going to tell you much. 2 ohms with the headlights on is probably pretty normal. If the points happen to be closed, 2 ohms with the ignition on is not too far off either.

You need to start at the beginning.

Disconnect the battery, and check the battery voltage. If it's less than 12.5, charge the battery. If it won't read 12.5 volts disconnected after being charged, take it to any auto parts store and have it load tested. If it fails, get a new one.

While the battery is out of the car, eyeball the wiring. There will be a small wire and a big one on both battery cables.

The big positive wire goes to the starter.
The big negative wire goes to the engine block, normally the alternator bracket on a 69.

These 2 wires are ONLY used to turn the starter, they have nothing to do with supplying power to the car.

The small wire from the negative cable attaches to the inner fender or rad support.

The small wire from the positive cable attaches to the lil junction block on the rad support.

The second wire from that junction block goes directly to the screw terminal on the horn relay, and also to the alternator, and the #3 connection on the voltage regulator.

The second wire off the horn relay screws is the main feed to the fusebox and headlight switch.

Do a physical check on all these connections, then install a proven good battery and do a voltage check on them.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm an idiot. It was an dead battery. I guess I was thinking the worse when my headlights would't come on. I didn't start the car but all lights work. I recently put a turbo(t-76) on the car. Everything went pretty smooth at first then I started to break parts(tranny, u-joints, bell housing, distributor rotor) and it seem like when it rain it pours so I guess I was just expecting the worse from the car. The car never had a problem before with killing the battery. Thanks for the help guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode