Soldering Battery Connections - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Soldering Battery Connections

Hi, just wondering the correct way to solder battery connections.

I was taught:

1) Take fitting and heat with MAP Gas.
2) Fill fitting 1/4-1/2 with Solder
3) Insert Wire
4) Have friend hold wire straight up and fill around wire with solder.
5)Heat Shrink

I was told that crimping was not needed.

PS..will solder cause voltage drop?

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Soldering Battery Connections

Solder will not cause a voltage drop if done correctly. That is one way to test for a cold solder joint (note a voltage loss). I use Taylor brass 2 Ga. battery eylet terminals part number TAY-21409 from Summit which screw on and make a good copression fit since I use 00 battery cable also from Taylor cable and wire.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
John

Your solder method will work fine however, go easy with the Mapp gas. In most cases Propane is hot enough. (Hotter is not better). It is easy to overheat the cable and make the copper brittle. You only need the connector hot enough to melt the solder, and keep it melted long enough to flow into the copper cable. Be sure to use good flux (you didn't mention it) and wipe off any excess....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I have done like you with partally filling the fitting but the fitting needs to be checked so it is not too large. You want a tight fit but not too tight or too loose. If it has a lot of air between the outside diamter of the wire and the inside diameter of the fitting then the solder could be used to fill it but I would not want it that way. Most items on a circuit board that the leads pass through fit the leads and are just slightly oversized so there is minimal solder bridging the gap. The reason I prefer crimping then soldering is the voids or airspace is minimized for in my mind anyway, better transfer of power.

I prefer crimping then soldering then either heat shrink tubing covering the joint or the push on rubber boots. I have used a propane gas torch before but switched to a Mapp gas one but normally on the ring terminal ends I'm heating up the end of the ring enough to where the crimped area gets hot enough for solder to flow into the joint and out the other end where the insulation almost butts up against the crimp connector. I have to watch how hot I get it. Hot enough for the solder to flow into the joint, not hot enough to do damage to the insulation (but it does become softer and hardens back up after it cools), and not hot enough to discolor or melt the copper strand wires.

If you ever want to see if your solder connection or work is fully filled do a wire and fitting as a test and then cut it apart for inspection.

Soldering takes practice just like other things. When I was learning to weld I cut many a joint apart to see how well I did.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I crimp and solder, as mentioned above
Quote:
It is easy to overheat the cable and make the copper brittle.
And damage the insulation...a wet rag around the insulation helps, once soldered cool down to prevent further heat travelling down the copper cable.
Tin the cable end before soldering into the clamps

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys thanks for all of the responses....just out of curiosity, what does "Tinning" the cable end mean?

Thanks
Chris
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I work for a Military contractor and we do a crimp and solider (with a soldering iron NOT a torch) as described above then shrink tubing. If it’s near any water then it gets melt tape too. If it’s in the engine compartment near any heat, oil or fuel then we step up to Vition shrink tubing and vition melt tape.
Tinning is where you apply solider to the end of the wire before you solider it to any other wire / terminal lug also know as “pre tinning”.

Mark (AKA Z28 Mark)
1973 Z28 2001 Z28
Camaros Limited~Nor Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode