Need help on wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
ENP
Senior Tech

Need help on wiring

I am new to the electrical game. I have a 69 camaro. I replaced every wire with new "Factory Fit" wire harnesses. The motor in my car is a GM 502. I have a electric fuel pump and dual fans for my radiator. The electric fuel pump and radiator fan wire goes to the ignition. My new fuse block shows a plug in that is labeled "IGN". I assume this is ignition. How do I wire both the fuel pump and fan wire to this "IGN". I really hope this made sense. I had a long day.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 02:10 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
Re: Need help on wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENP
I have a electric fuel pump and dual fans for my radiator. The electric fuel pump and radiator fan wire goes to the ignition. My new fuse block shows a plug in that is labeled "IGN". I assume this is ignition. How do I wire both the fuel pump and fan wire to this "IGN". I really hope this made sense. I had a long day.
thanks
The IGN terminal at the fuse box is for adding low power items. If you wired a fan to it directly, it would probably blow the fuse everytime you turned it on. Use a relay for these items. A relay is nothing more than a remote controlled switch. Relays use a small amount of power to turn on ( or off) a large amount of power, see pic and link
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm#demo

You can get relay kits that include the relay and all the wiring, Summit and Jegs sell them. Get power from the horn relay (espeically if you have a factory amp gauge and want it to work correctly) and make sure the alternator can handle the extra current demand. Fan wiring will depend on how you want to control it, automatically from a temp sender, manually with a toggle switch, or a combination of the two.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
ENP
Senior Tech

My dual fans have a relay for each fan. Each relay has 4 wires. 1 wire goes to the battery positive(this has a 30amp fuse), 1 wire goes to the temp sending unit, 1 wire goes to the ignition and the last wire goes to the fan.

Can I splice the ignition wire of the fan directly to the ignition wire of the fuel pump. Once this is accomplished can I plug both the fuel pump and ignition wire of the fans directly to the "IGN" on the fuse block.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENP
Can I splice the ignition wire of the fan directly to the ignition wire of the fuel pump. Once this is accomplished can I plug both the fuel pump and ignition wire of the fans directly to the "IGN" on the fuse block.
Are you going to use a relay for the fuel pump also? The switched side of a relay pulls very little power, something around 1/8 of a amp. You could wire the switched side of 20 relays to the IGN terminal at fusebox and not have a problem.

Greg U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode